CUTLASS Probably the dumbest question....(antenna removal)

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
I got my new car cover today, just to keep the Cutlass covered in the garage and keep dust and such off. I want to remove my antenna so I can cover the car, mark the antenna spot and then punch through the cover and use my plastic grommet to make my antenna hole. Either I am an idiot or I am over thinking this or both. Shouldn't the antenna just be mounted (screwed on to a post) to the base? I can not get it loose and don't want to damage paint or the antenna. Am I missing something?
1000010715.jpg

Potential idea. Get the proper size wrench to fit the mast nut. Can't recall size, something like 7mm? I forget. The mount nut needs a spanner. Something like this.

1728825054075.png

I also "WILL NOT" suggest (I'm not responsible if you use this info or not) wrapping some tape and/or soft rags around the mast nut base, to allow you to liberally squirt some PB Blaster or similar penentrant between the mast nut and the mounting nut. Let it soak for an hour or so. Take the mast nut and while holding the spanner wrench on the mount nut to keep it from moving, just NUDGE the mast nut to TIGHTEN IT slightly. VERY SLIGHTLY. The idea is to just bust any corrosion loose. Don't go all ape strength on it and snap it off. Just nudge it even if you can't see it move. THEN, gently try to loosen the mast nut from the mount nut. Don't force it. Just keep working it. It has worked on stuck bolts before for me. I don't see why it shouldn't work for this.

A lot of times because the mast has been attached to the base for so long it doesn't want to come off,it seizes in place and it breaks off when you try to remove it.
Way early in my Auto body career we had a cutlass Cierra in the booth. I went to remove the antenna from the base witha wrench. I barely turned it when it snapped off at the base. My boss was not happy to replace that antenna.

Points all taken. I will just leave it on and take some good measurements for the hole. Glad I wasn't over thinking the the issue and not crazy at how tight it is lol.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor