Progressive rate spring orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I am wondering if it matters when installing a set of progressive rate springs as to weather the closer wound coils are on top or on the bottom? I have a set of Eibach Pro Kits on my Cutlass and have always run them with the close coils on top, but accidentally installed them " upside down" and am curious as to weather or not this will have an effect on handling. the car is not drag oriented, but rather built with handling in mind and all around performance, so these details are critical to me.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Just wondering if you tried the car out yet and if you think there is any difference. The only think I can think of is it may create a different spring load at the initial compression since the load has to travel up the spring to the lighter (weaker) load side being on top.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Actually, I found my error after partially assembling it during a rear axle swap. I haven't finished it yet as I work alot and it's been raining non-stop where I live the last few days. Plus, the car is gutted back to a shell due to extensive bodywork and rust repair that I have just completed and so any drive would not be indicitive of how it will actually ride when assembled ( I have the windows , dash and driver's seat in it so I can drive it if need be). I am hoping it will function like a tender spring in a coilover setup and just take out the slack at full droop, as it seems the coils had been near fully compressed when it was used ( I had them in for 40k+ miles before paint hell began 7 years ago!). It never rode soft with the Eibach's and FE-3 swaybars ( and the frame is polyurethane bushed to the body) in it , and I am just hoping to avoid any handling surprises when I am pusing it.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
I cannot tell u exactly why, but the closer coils DO belong on top. Main reason is that there will be more movement out of the axle end and the separated springs will absorb that portion of the bumps. Under more load the springs will start to compress more using the upper coils more. More weight or more bump will start to firm up the ride. Keep the close coils on top.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I switched it back today while I was under there completing the rearend install. What a difference a gear change made! 2.41- 3.23 is a major improvment without excessive RPM's at highway speed.

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
the progressive rate springs work like this.
the closer coils compress first and then as they get closer to the wider spaced coils the spring rate begins to stiffen.
whichever way you have the short coils will compress sooner, i.e closer coils on bottom- axle will move first
closer coils on top- body moves before the axle does.
i have been setting the suspention up on my camino and along with an air bag in pass coil, no hop bars, traction action bars, boxed control arms, i have also placed the close coils upright on the pass side and the close coils DOWN on the drivers side.later i am going to try it the opposite and see if it launches better.
so far with sportsman pro's and a four gear i have cracked and started to twist both frame rails and the pass side lower control arm mount (i have since plated inner and outer frame and lower control arm brackets)
i have also removed the front sway bar and installed 90/10 shocks.
i tried it at the track without shocks and its like driving a boat. lol
this stuff is for drag racing but a lot of itsgood for cornering too.

hope this helped a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor