proper way to lower a g-body 2-3 inches??

Status
Not open for further replies.

t_visker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2006
Brookings, SD
hey, i have an 87 cutlass supereme brougham and wondering what all i need to do and to buy to properly lower my cutty 2-3 inches.. thanks in advance

you can use the spindles from an S 10 and that'll give you a 2" drop and you'll still the same suspension travel.....

It all depends what you are using it for and how much dough you want to fork out. Drop spindles are probably the cheapest way to go but there other options. I also want to do this but I want an adjustable drop and tight suspension. You could get Firestone air bags and a pump tank etc. but I think its not worth it for the price and the of space it takes up. A site scandc.com has an option I want to take eventually. They make tubular upper and lower a arms that come with tall ball joints and it lowers you about .75" Not enough but they also sell coil over kits that can adjust hight with a wrench and stiffness with a knob. All together with the stage two kit and all that stuff it's about $1200.00. Professional stuff but it will cost you. It all depends again on what you are using it for (car shows, daily driving, drag racing, circle track, etc) and how big your pocket book is. most average drivers just get drop spindles. Be careful if you chose springs too. They can throw off your geometry and make it handle erratically. that's my two cents.

I'm in Canton for college but live in Youngstown. There is another person on this forum from Lima OH but can't remember their ID.

Using *only* drop spindles with stock springs isn't the best idea as the suspension travel will be the same as mentioned which will likely result in bottoming out with the tires hitting the wheel well. If you use drop spindles, it is recommended to get stiffer springs as well. And if you are going to replace the springs anyways, may as well just go with drop springs and have the added benefit of better handling.

I went with drop springs and shocks all around from Beltech. The fronts are 2" S-10 drop springs which lowered it about 3". The rears are 1.5" G-body drop springs which lowered the rear only about 1/2" so far. I added in S-10 bumpstops in after which make a big difference in how the car handles and rides. These are designed for the suspension to practically ride on and make for a much smoother ride and prevent any harsh bottoming out.

100_0922JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

the springs should be replaced and stronger but to make them any more than an inch drop can mess up the geometry of the front suspension. The geometry is important for proper handling. I'm not saying it won't handle okay but it can bottom out. Also it is a fine choice for the money. My only purpose was to give more options. My opinion is while I'm there I'll just get rid of the junk A arms and go tubular and have the option to lift and lower as i please. Also I can adjust the toe for better bump steer handling. Again it just depends what you want to use it for and how much money you want to spend. Also I'm only lowering my front, I like the back to be high so I would not buy a whole kit.

I have my eye on the Hothkis front tubular control arm kit. You have to swap to f-body spindles but the beifit is you'll have bigger brakes and its supposed to lower the front 2". Can't afford it rightnow but can dream about it. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor