Proposed initiative for new *For Sale* and *For Trade* rules

Should we have a minimum post limit on for sale and for trade items?

• Yes, have a minimum post limit/account age before member can post for sale or for trade items

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • No, do not have a minimum post limit/acount age before member can post for sale or for trade items

Votes: 14 37.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
i like this smiley:
twofinger_salute.gif

GP403 said:
I dunno.

I think if someone's got a g-body or parts for sale, this would be the ideal place to find a buyer, no posts or 1000. Who knows, maybe they've got something you need.... I don't think making it some sort of 'exclusive club' is a good idea. They might stick around after the fact, but more likely not if their posts get deleted or not allowed, or if the site gets a reputation of being over-modded.

50-100 posts and/or 6 months is a also bit much IMHO. A lot of folks who -aren't- selling stuff don't even stick around that long (unfortunately!) but I'd still like to have them here.

The FS/T forum also has the "auto-purge" feature on it so posts older than 90 days (IIRC) disappear, cutting down on the bumps to old outdated threads. (I could shorten that up if need be.)

But....

with that said if you guys vote for it I guess I'll make it so. 8)

Alternatively, I could exclude the FS/T posts from showing up on the home page, if that might help the situation. That's a fairly simple switch.

I agree with you. I dont think its necessary, and weeding through all the craigslist stuff to find g body stuff is a pain in the *ss, this site is a great place to seel g body stuff regardless if your a regular member or not.

I'll agree that the "FS/T" section should be kept off the home page much like the "Off topic" forum posts are left off the home page. And require all posts in the FS/T section to be approved by the moderator, therefore you don't have to worry about a 10-20 post or 100 post limit before you can post. The moderator can put a little sticky up in the section explaining the rules and it's as simple as that.

How many times have you guys been up here at midnight or so and then all of a sudden spam crap clogs the home page from the for sale section? Food for thought.

I think others on here think they'll get ripped off of their hard earned money if they buy off of new members.I think we should have a thread of the trusted members who actually go through sale and not rip anyone off.I remember seeing a couple threads of members scamming other members of a couple bucks, which isnt cool.

i'd say about 15 posts, that are subject to review by the members/mods. (somebody COULD just post a smiley a bunch of times, just for the post count) also, allow people to request permission from the mods to post "early". as some/many people know i really hate when people's first post is a for sale, usually at an exorbitant price. then they're pissy if you ask a question.
BTW i think it's a bit much to make a mod approve every single post, more in that it's a lot of work for them.

hum.. well i'm not sure how many people sign up to just sell stuff, i have been seeing new members but i said yes to have some posts up in order to sell items, people should scope out the site an see what it has to offer an see what people need an would want. before i got my cutlass i had 94 camaro z28 an was on 2 sites dedicated everynight for hours for 3 years haha now it's this site's turn!

For something like the 'pay it forward' thread (sounds to be a good idea, I've never read through it personally) I think someone needs to be a regular poster and have a minimum number of posts to post in the thread, etc. If they want to just sell something, I always see it as 'buyer beware', I'm ALWAYS cautious of someone who just joined and only has 2 posts, one of which to sell whatever it is, and the other a bump. I am however on a few boards that have a rule about bumping/ttt, it's typically once a day, or once every 12 hours. Some forums are huge (fullsizechevy.com and hardforum.com come to mind), and sometimes the only way to have your thread seen is to bump it. For a forum as active as this one I'd say once every 12 or 24 hours, but some of those very large ones (both [H] and FSC are over 120,000 members) they are a little more lenient, more like 4-6 hours I believe, otherwise it gets lost in an ocean of other for sale threads.

I think when you start making rules like that you might end up blocking people who might just have some good parts to sell. Maybe they have no interest in gbodys other than getting rid of their parts that they found at the grandmas house. They can always put them on Ebay but then we lose out on some potentially nice parts. I'd rather just pass over stuff that doesn't look good or looks suspicous rather than to make a bunch of rules that makes them post their stuff on some other forum.

carmangary said:
I think when you start making rules like that you might end up blocking people who might just have some good parts to sell. Maybe they have no interest in gbodys other than getting rid of their parts that they found at the grandmas house. They can always put them on Ebay but then we lose out on some potentially nice parts. I'd rather just pass over stuff that doesn't look good or looks suspicous rather than to make a bunch of rules that makes them post their stuff on some other forum.

This could be resolved in setting up two sections of for-sale. One could be for 'newbies' and one could be for more seasoned members. I'm not saying I love the idea, but it would cover your issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor