Puddle of fluid under my steering box

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
Either my steering box or power steering pump is leaking. I haven't looked close enough to tell. Steering is fine so I think replacing the seals would be the most cost effective solution. Has anyone done that before? Hard? Easy?

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
You could try and replace the seals on a steering box but it may be a better idea to get a new box.

78_oldcruiser

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2010
Seven Springs NC
look very close at your hoses first. on my old 70 ford the hoses looked brand new but had a leak and found out after searching it was a pin hole wear but on my wagon that i just changed my box on the hose was wore completely out and still didnt leak lol. dont know about changing the seals but if you have to change the box its not that bad just be sure to remove the braces and drop the sway bar to drop the box that way you dont have to pull the pump off to change it.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
carmangary said:
Either my steering box or power steering pump is leaking. I haven't looked close enough to tell. Steering is fine so I think replacing the seals would be the most cost effective solution. Has anyone done that before? Hard? Easy?
The spool shaft wears and new seals rarely take , probably less aggravation to get a re-man with a warranty. also good time to upgrade to that close ratio box. 8) Also pumps are cheep enough,Hell the hose and return line cost more than a re-man pump. :)

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
78_oldcruiser said:
look very close at your hoses first. on my old 70 ford the hoses looked brand new but had a leak and found out after searching it was a pin hole wear but on my wagon that i just changed my box on the hose was wore completely out and still didnt leak lol. dont know about changing the seals but if you have to change the box its not that bad just be sure to remove the braces and drop the sway bar to drop the box that way you dont have to pull the pump off to change it.

I agree. One of the hoses leaked on my old Bonnyville.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
Thanks for the advice. I'll look more into it after I move. Hopefully it isn't the steering box because they are a little pricey.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I had the same problem with mine last year and I would swear it was from the box or the line......Turns out it was from the rear seal of the reservoir...so small you would never know it...Anyways I bought a new pump/reservoir and fixed the problem...I think I bought it from Reman or Remart ........... 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor