Pulley question, need help bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Ok so ive got a new addition besides the 442 i picked up last week. Its a 83 cutlass with the 307. Now i pulled the intake to reveal more sludge than any motor should ever have but happily it still runs. Clean up time! Anyway back to topic the ac no longer exists nor do i want it on there and i put a manual steering box on it. question is how the heck do i get the water pump and alternator to work. the only thing on an olds 307 of the years i have (83-87) that runs the water pump and alternator are the ac compresson to crank and power steering pump to crank belts and they drive the water pump and alternator in the process. What can i do??? I need help bad cuz i want to run this car but its all but impossible without the pump and alternator and i dont want to put a compressor or the power steering back on.

im not really sure if you can because i am running a dual groove PS pulley and that is being turned on the inside groove by the outermost groove of the crank pulley and then my alternator it running on the outermost groove of the warer pump pulley (which sticks out one groove further than the crank) so my guess is you may have to run the PS pulley whether you use it or not.

You need the pulley's from an older engine like a 350, 403, 455, etc. These would allow you to run a continuous belt from the alternator, to the water pump and then around the crank.

I believe the only other 307 to use a different pulley configuration was the Vin 9 which I think is routed more like the traditional Olds engines.

I can try looking in the barn tomorrow and see if I have any laying around. Seems like I'm always tripping over them. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor