Pulse/Delay Wiper Switch 1980 Malibu or Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Car Guy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 1, 2020
Hi to all.
I am working on an garage kept 1980 Cutlass Supreme that has not been driven in 25 years or so. It did not come from the factory with pulse/delay windshield wipers. The owner of this car wants this option really bad. He has located and purchased a new wiper motor assembly complete with washer pump and delay module for a 1980 Chevy Malibu with the pulse/delay option and he also found a hard to find GM wiper switch for this car as well.
This seems like a pretty straight forward swap with a few modifications required, such as the area of the dash where the switch mounts and to the switch itself elongating the mounting holes. Also the addition of the green wire to the wiper motor assembly. The problem is the wiring of the wiper switch. The wiring connector that was on the original wiper switch does not work with the new switch. No big deal here either, remove the wires from the connector and plug them on to the new switch right. Here is where the fun begins. Nowhere have I found anything indicating the exact location of the wires on the new switch. The wires are color coded but the switches do not have the terminals marked in anyway that I can see. I have searched the internet for days trying to find a correct coded pigtail connector for the switch or even a picture of one. I have also looked at every thread I can find that might pertain to this problem and I have not had any luck.
I did however come across a write up on this forum from a few years back between someone who called himself Bonnewagon and another that called his self Beach Boy Bob.
So for my question to you all is simply this. Does anyone have a parts car that has this pigtail that connects directly to the switch I have or a good pictures of it so I can tell which wires go where?
I have wiring diagrams for both switches and that does not help. I have looked all over You Tube and have learned that it is bad news if you screw up the wiring. Some of the required parts a very hard to find and expensive to replace. Thanks to all
transamgh.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Greetings Old Car Guy,
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but here goes. This was a switch I have for a future use. Does the face of the one your using look as such?
P1012242.JPG
If so this is the stub end that came with this switch.
P1012240.JPG
Orange ,White and Green attached direct to the switch. In the clip is Black on top, Pink next down, Gray below that, Purple in cavity to the left.
Hope this helps.
Bob S.

Reactions: 4 users

Old Car Guy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 1, 2020
Hi Bob, thank you so much for a timely response. Yes, from the front the switch I have looks the same as yours. The back side however is different. The switch I have does not have red, white, and brown or black wires attached to it like yours. It does have the green wire though. Fortunately the layout for the connector-s looks the same. The cars dash harness has the black, pink, gray, and purple wires like the pigtail on your switch. I will try this connection sequence to see if it works. You have been a great help to me, thank you. The wiring is easy as long as you know where the wires go. The gray wire looks brown in the picture.
By the way the owner of this Cutlass is also named Bob. This is going to be a great car. 480HP Crate LS3 with a 4L65 trans. Custom built Mosur 12 bolt posi rear, Custom made 4" alum. drive shaft. Hooker shorty headers 2 1/2" SS Exhaust System. Complete UMI Tubular Suspension front and rear. Complete Baer Brake System with drilled and slotted rotors 13"-6 piston front 12"-4 piston rear. The list goes on and on.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Just getting ready to head out for the weekend....that is an older pic I dug up...no access to pics of the back side right now. I pulled that from a 1980 Cutlass.

Sounds like you have the Chevy one and not an Olds one

I have access to at least 2 more Olds switches

Old Car Guy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 1, 2020
Just getting ready to head out for the weekend....that is an older pic I dug up...no access to pics of the back side right now. I pulled that from a 1980 Cutlass.

Sounds like you have the Chevy one and not an Olds one

I have access to at least 2 more Olds switches
Hey there Showtime have a great time this weekend. If you have some time when you return I would still like to see what the back of that switch looks like and also the others as well. Information is everything. Thanks again

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Sorry for the delay on this....the Olds switch was sold quite some time ago...I'm sorry I can't find a pic of the back side.

The 80/81 Chevy switch has the green wire factory attached and I was able to find a pic of the back side...(this is what I believe you have)

Delay Switch Rear.jpg

The 78/79 Chevy switch (also pictured in a previous post) had a 3 wire setup for the delay with separate harness to the wiper motor....sorry no back side pic but there was one previously posted.

LKG1mg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have the same switch as OD has but no harness. A quick search came up empty too for me.

Old Car Guy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 1, 2020
Thanks to all of you that responded to my questions. Your responses have been quite helpful. I have been collecting data for some time and finally had what I needed to wire it up. I bench tested the system and it worked like it should. At least I didn't let the smoke out. Thanks again

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor