Purge valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
Has anyone kept their purge valve on the LS swap? If so, how did you plum it?

Thanks, David

k24556

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2021
I’m planning to swap a 5.3 into a late el camino. The reason is to reduce gas odor in my garage. I know how the OBD2 systems work, and can help you some with your decision how to plumb it up and get it going. It really is a simple system with a few pitfalls to avoid.

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Purge System.jpg

k24556

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2021
yep that’s the correct diagram. The question is if t fuel tank pressure sensor needs to be placed in the tank. The purpose of this sensor is to measure fuel tank pressure (or vacuum) during the leak test function the pcm performs of the fuel tank every time you meet drive cycle conditions. This test, if it does not pass, will toss a couple OBD-2 codes, and usually a CEL. An OBD 2 car won’t pass most state emissions with this fault. For cars like the Gbody, state requirements vary. Here in NC, cars this age are exempt from emissions standards, so the inspection is just safety.

My plan is not to add the FTPS, as I don’t care if the system has a tiny leak.

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
I’m planning to swap a 5.3 into a late el camino. The reason is to reduce gas odor in my garage. I know how the OBD2 systems work, and can help you some with your decision how to plumb it up and get it going. It really is a simple system with a few pitfalls to avoid.
Any help would be great. I hope to do my swap over the Thanksgiving break.

k24556

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2021
so what are your plans for a fuel pump? Some of this decision will depend on the LS fuel rail you have on your new engine. Then getting the fuel out of the tank (and the pressure relief return) and back. So if your tank is tight (no leak paths) then you need to think about plumbing up. I can speak a little about LS fuel strategy, and there are folks here that have BTDT. Hopefully, IfI steer you wrong, they will chime in. I certainly won’t take offense to being told I’m wrong.

Reactions: 1 user

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
so what are your plans for a fuel pump? Some of this decision will depend on the LS fuel rail you have on your new engine. Then getting the fuel out of the tank (and the pressure relief return) and back. So if your tank is tight (no leak paths) then you need to think about plumbing up. I can speak a little about LS fuel strategy, and there are folks here that have BTDT. Hopefully, IfI steer you wrong, they will chime in. I certainly won’t take offense to being told I’m wrong.
I will be using the Holley drop in tank unit. It has a supply line and a vent line. Bypass is built into the unit[ bypasses inside the tank].

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor