Q-jet jet sizes for a 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

autowizard

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2011
some where in Idaho
Anybody know what sizes the jets and rods should be for a non computerized q jet should be for the buick v6? Im converting my 83 regal 4.1 from ccc to non ccc and need the stock jet sizes to get it all going. The marine jetting for a 3.8 is 66 main jets, 36r rods and DH for secondarys. Thanks in advance

autowizard said:
Anybody know what sizes the jets and rods should be for a non computerized q jet should be for the buick v6? Im converting my 83 regal 4.1 from ccc to non ccc and need the stock jet sizes to get it all going. Thanks in advance
I dont know the sizes of the jets but i know, a quadrajet 4 barrel off a 4.3 chevy, everything on the inside is pretty much the same. dont know if that'll help but i did almost the same thing that your doing, with my old 4.1 regal, but left it ccc, and just swapped everything over.

I've tuned a bunch of Q-Jets over the years, but never a 4.1. My primary tuning pieces are 69 thru 73 jets and 36 thru 44 rods. Your final combo will depend on any other mods you have made such as cam and exhaust, but I'd start with something like 70 jets and 42 rods. Drive it a bit, trying to accelerate as hard as possible while staying out of the secondaries. Lean out the jets until the acceleration gets a bit "stretchy", like its running out of fuel. Go a notch richer on the jets and then focus on the rods. Drive it again, paying close attention to your light to medium-throttle feel and response. What your looking for is crisp response. Too rich gets you slow initial response, but good pull after a second or two; Too lean gives you continued flat, lazy response.
When you get the primary metering dialed in, only then is it time to move to the secondaries. Once again you objective should be the same, crisp response and a steady pull. Maybe someone who's done the same carb on a similar engine will chime in and save you some steps, since I can't give you specifics. Carb tuning without a dyno is all seat-of-the pants feel, so be prepared to spend some time and effort in testing for best results. Give your float bowl gasket a good spray with silicone spray or WD-40 as you'll have the carb top off a multitude of times till you get it just right.

Bill

Ok thanks for the response guys i have a good starting point.

On a similar CI, I have a q-jet on my 4.0 I6, iirc, my primary jets are 70, my rods are 45 I think. Secondary side I used DH rods, an "R" hanger and a slow pull off. The transition is sweet, no bog, you just hear the secondaries start opening as the engine gets to 3000-3500rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor