Quadra jet

Status
Not open for further replies.

87cuttdawg

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2018
Tennessee
What is this ? And why doesn’t my carb have one . Trying to run my vacuum hoses correctly but I’m stuck trying to figure where they could go.

Attachments

• 578AB42D-602C-441A-A4A9-2C7F9EC00EC1.jpeg
    578AB42D-602C-441A-A4A9-2C7F9EC00EC1.jpeg
    246.2 KB · Views: 317

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
it bumps the idle up a few undred rpm (can be adjusted) when the ac is kicked on to prevent bogging/stalling. especially helpful on v6s. i think it's called an idle-up solenoid... dont quote me on that.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
We call that a “throttle kicker” in Texas...:cool:

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
It is an idle stop solenoid. It does 2 things. Steps up the idle for air-conditioning and also acts as an antidiesel device on some cars. It actually acts as the idle adjustment screw. It kicks out when the key is on and back in when you turn the car off. Completely closing the butterflies and preventing dieseling (run on). Not all cars got it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
What is this ? And why doesn’t my carb have one . Trying to run my vacuum hoses correctly but I’m stuck trying to figure where they could go.
Depends on what engine/carb you have and if it matches what was original in the car. If you have an idle load compensator, aka ILC, it is different than the idle speed solenoid, aka ISS. The electric jobbies, at least on VIN 9 engines, do absolutely nothing for anti-dieseling. They lay there doing nothing until the A/C is turned on, then they pop open to compensate for the RPM drop by the A/C compressor kicking in. When ignition is off or A/C is turned off, the solenoid retracts allowing normal idle speed.

The ILC works a bit differently. It does have anti-diesel solenoid and regulates vacuum to the compensator as needed to maintain idle or attempt to keep the engine from dieseling on shutoff. I have never messed with this kind of system, and I much prefer the ISS over the ILC any day. Too many moving parts for me on this ILC thing. With ISS, you can pretty much set it and forget it.

Here's a pic of vacuum routing diagram I posted in another thread if you HAVE the ILC in your 87.
ilc-vacuum-hose-87-cutlass-jpg.38298

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

87cuttdawg

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2018
Tennessee
Depends on what engine/carb you have and if it matches what was original in the car. If you have an idle load compensator, aka ILC, it is different than the idle speed solenoid, aka ISS. The electric jobbies, at least on VIN 9 engines, do absolutely nothing for anti-dieseling. They lay there doing nothing until the A/C is turned on, then they pop open to compensate for the RPM drop by the A/C compressor kicking in. When ignition is off or A/C is turned off, the solenoid retracts allowing normal idle speed.

The ILC works a bit differently. It does have anti-diesel solenoid and regulates vacuum to the compensator as needed to maintain idle or attempt to keep the engine from dieseling on shutoff. I have never messed with this kind of system, and I much prefer the ISS over the ILC any day. Too many moving parts for me on this ILC thing. With ISS, you can pretty much set it and forget it.

Here's a pic of vacuum routing diagram I posted in another thread if you HAVE the ILC in your 87.
ilc-vacuum-hose-87-cutlass-jpg.38298

Mine doesn’t have ILC but has ILC SOLENOID

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Mine doesn’t have ILC but has ILC SOLENOID
Apparently then you're missing some stuff? Did someone change out the carb and not consider the ILC system? I dunno what to tell you on that. If you have the vacuum hoses without the stuff to hook it to, I suppose you could plug it off without issues except for not being able to compensate for a/c load.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
put one on my vette. has a pretty radical cam in it so i had to bump the butterflies open just a tad. shut the car off and the butterflies close all the way. no dieseling. they seem to be pretty expensive if you need one.

84 El Camino 231

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2018
Some E4ME carbs had an electric motor on that bracket to control idle speed. Stick with what matches the original ECM unless you've deleted the CCC (Computer Commend Control), in which case the E4ME will never work properly and you need an older carb that's jetted for your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor