question about a edelbrock performer cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutty

Greasemonkey
May 7, 2008
near london ontario canada
has anyone ever used this cam,buddy wants to put 1 in his motor,to keep it street friendly and the odd time blast down the strip, if you have used it, or 1 close to its specs, how did it perform? and what was your time in the 1/4 with it

ps i think he should step it up 1 or 2 cam sizes but thats what he thinks he should run, any help would be great

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
Helps to know what cam and some specs on the engine.

cutty

Greasemonkey
May 7, 2008
near london ontario canada
thought i did, guess not, its a edelbrock performer cam, pretty much stock 350, with a fresh ring job and freshened up stock heads,here are the specs

Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 278/ 288, Lift .420/ .442, Chevy, Small Block

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
There are much better cams on the market than that one. The Edelbrock is tame enough to be a stock replacement cam. I would consider a Comp Cams XE262 instead as it has great idle quality and excellent low end torque and fuel economy. I had a Crane cam that was larger than the Edelbrock in my 355. I later switched to the XE262 and the difference was amazing. I probably picked up 20-30hp and a similar amount of torque. Idles smoothly down to 650rpm and no drawbacks.

One of the things I look for in a mild cam is a wide lobe separation angle. The XE262 uses I think a 114degree LSA which is wider than most aftermarket cams that use 110 degree LSA's. The wide LSA traps more cylinder pressure at low RPM's so it makes the engine have more dynamic compression due to the reduction in overlap. This equates to a smoother idle and better low RPM torque at the sacrifice of power above 6,000 RPM's-a engine speed that is not likely to be seen in a mild 350.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor