Question about bumper supports

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
This is probably a stupid question, but how do I tell if mine are aluminum or steel? I pulled my back one off and it has no rust at all and it almost looks like it could be aluminum but it is still kinda heavy. I have never compared the weight of a steel and aluminum one, so I don't know what it should weigh. What did the steel ones look like from the factory, bare or painted? Mine looks like it has corrosion all over it if that helps.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
find a sopt on it and grind it till its shiny, then leave it out for a few days and then if you see rust then there steel.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I am dumb, I forgot about the magnet trick! I tried sticking a magnet to the inner support and it does not stick, so I guess it is aluminum. I didn't think this car would have them.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Blake442 said:
You can also check your RPO label underneath your trunk lid.

VD6- FRONT BUMPER-REINFORCEMENT-ALUMINUM
VD7- REAR BUMPER-REINFORCEMENT-ALUMINUM

Thanks Blake! Both codes are there.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Were these avalible on all gbodys? Any chance 80 Malibus had them?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I'm not sure about all G-bodies...

I know they were available front and rear on Regal's as well.

My 442 has them front and rear, though the front is currently steel because the bumper had been replaced prior to my ownership due to an accident. I have a replacement aluminum one in the garage.

My '79 Malibu wagon has an aluminum reinforcement up front, but not in the rear.

My '81 Monte that I used to have had an aluminum reinforcement under the rubber bumper cover. Never checked the rear.

I have no idea what dictated recieving them on the assembly line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor