Question for the house electricians

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Reading thru this thread today, I want to strongly (re-)advise you to hire an electrician to do this job. At least the run from the house to the garage. You cannot just run a piece or romex overhead and call it good. Nor can you string some stranded wire and be code compliant let alone safe. The overhead run you may have from your transformer to your house is a special exposure rated wire. The insulation is meant to be in the elements. You would have to use something similar to run overhead to the garage since going underground in pipe has been ruled out. Plus it needs to be anchored on both ends properly with strain reliefs.
Paying to have this job done correctly will cost a lot less than replacing your garage or house if it burns down or God forbid it falls on someone on a windy day.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I gotta go with pontiac guy on this. 90 ft +/- is a loonngg span for a non-permitted, DIY. Way to much opportunity for things to go wrong in any unusual circumstance.

Reactions: 1 user

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
I would put a new 200 amp service in the house take the old 100 amp from the house and have it installed in the garage get somebody who knows what they are doing

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Reading thru this thread today, I want to strongly (re-)advise you to hire an electrician to do this job. At least the run from the house to the garage. You cannot just run a piece or romex overhead and call it good. Nor can you string some stranded wire and be code compliant let alone safe. The overhead run you may have from your transformer to your house is a special exposure rated wire. The insulation is meant to be in the elements. You would have to use something similar to run overhead to the garage since going underground in pipe has been ruled out. Plus it needs to be anchored on both ends properly with strain reliefs.
Paying to have this job done correctly will cost a lot less than replacing your garage or house if it burns down or God forbid it falls on someone on a windy day.
I gotta go with pontiac guy on this. 90 ft +/- is a loonngg span for a non-permitted, DIY. Way to much opportunity for things to go wrong in any unusual circumstance.
I'll be using the correct exterior type wire that is sun/UV protected (heavier gray cover, UF-B) for outside service. As for the 90', that is total lenth starting inside running to the exsisting exit in the rear of the house, out side for 50', then back inside the garage running down the inside wall to the current fuse box. I went through alot of this when we bought the house & had my BIL & his oldest boy (union electrician) do the rewire to correct ehat surprisingly past the inspection. Would have them but had a bad falling out with that part of the family cause of the SIL behavior towards me. I also had to do a service enterance for our first mobile home 15 years ago so i do remember what we had to do with that. With the old overhead wire to be removed, it does have the anchor points in place that I do plan to use for the new overhead (& after the 60' pine that fell on the wire & didn't rip the anchors from either buildings I would believe those are still good enough to use.) My biggest issue I'm have with this is ensuring I get the right rated breaker between the house & garage as this is my first solo house wire project. If this was automotive wire work I'd be flying through this like it was nothing & I don't want to view this with a automotive perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor