Question on a possible Cutlass purchase

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024
If the car is from the mid west or north east it's a good thing. I've only visited those places and seen some pretty eaten up cars still driving around. Hey at least you have a window sticker. :)

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Found the car online as well, looks great hope it works out for you!

Reactions: 1 users

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024
There is a marked difference between the drivers side pinstripe and the passenger side. One looks like I did it. :)
46.jpg
47.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If this is rust under that vinyl I would probably pass on it, it might be nothing major but I have seen some nightmare metal damage under vinyl tops usually on the factory vinyl top cars with the rest of the car being very clean and rust free.
1705787510497.jpeg

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024
If this is rust under that vinyl I would probably pass on it, it might be nothing major but I have seen some nightmare metal damage under vinyl tops usually on the factory vinyl top cars with the rest of the car being very clean and rust free.
View attachment 233871
Whoa. Good call, I'm going to have to check this out.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yup. That's exactly what I was talking about with these cars. All it takes is one little pathway for water to get under the top. The stupid padding holds the water and it has nowhere to go most of the time. So it sits...it eventually finds its way out.

Check that area pronto prior to purchase. You CAN do a vinyl to solid top conversion on it. You would need to do a bit of work to do so, but I'm sure with your skills you could handle it. Just would need to get some non-vinyl top quarter windows and some rear chrome window trim and do a bit of work.

Other option is to remove top, fix any sort of rust, coat it with some rust prevention stuff, then redo the vinyl top. That way, you can ensure the job is done right. Then take care of the top and it will last for YEARS.

Not all vinyl tops get crusty. But the majority did. This is why I avoid a vinyl top if I can, but I'd still consider this car a strong candidate, even if there is some Krunch bar action under the top.

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
Question on a Cutlass I found.
Reading the RPO’s (if I am reading them right) it’s a Canadian built 87 with a 305, 4 speed, it says the rear end is a 2.57:1. It has the build sheet, where I got the RPO’s but I can’t decipher those upper numbers in the blocks.
STE - PLANT CODE- ST THERESE, PQ, GM OF CANADA
GM8 - AXLE, REAR,2.56 RATIO
MW9 - TRANSMISSION, AUTO 4 SPD, THM 200, CONV CLUTCH
LV2 - ENGINE, GAS, 8 CYL, 5.0L, 4BBL
KM9 - MANIFOLD, INTAKE(ALUMINUM)
Using an online gear calculator, it shows 1656 rpm for 70mph with the stock 195/75-14 tires installed. Doesn’t that rear end gear sound kind of tall? Or is this a boat they built for emissions.

View attachment 233784
1700 RPM @ 70mph sounds about right, it’s a combination of the 2.56 gear and the 4 speed OD transmission. My 1983 Supreme has the Buick 231 V6, 350C trans (3 speed no OD) and the 2.56 gear with the same size tires and cruising at about 50 I’m at about 2500 RPM, at 70 between 3000-3500

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor