Question on power gain if I...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The days of destroking are pretty much gone. It was a good way to make an engine turn a lot of rpm when you had heads that couldn't feed a large cid engine at higher rpms. With all the technology we have now, you can make a big inch small block turn some rpm's and still feed it with the heads that are now available.
Then you also have the strong, lightweight parts avalable for big displacement that will help it rev like the destroked engines. There's no reason not to go with more inches anymore.

I forgot to add, they sell bearing spacers for putting the 350 crank in a 400, just in case that never got answered.

Depending on your budget the sky is the limit. If you are wanting a daily driver that's not too radical, but can still get the job done from light to light, a 400 will work great. A couple years ago I built one for a guy around home. The engine was nothin special: the rotating assembly was balanced, stock crank, 5.7 rods with arp bolts, keith black pistons (16-18cc dish I think), vortec heads cut for more lift with 2.02/1.6 valves, xe274 flat tappet, Airgap intake, roller rockers, Quadrajet, headers, etc. Pretty basic and simple, dynoed 430hp and 510lbft and ran on pump gas. It would shred tires at will, had a little chop to the idle, but was very reliable. Ran a 700r4 with 2500 converter, 3.73 gears in a '83 Monte it was a blast to ride in for what it was, and best of all only cost around $2500 to build, and that was the price of everything. We constantly revved it to 6000, never a bit of problems with it, even with the basically stock bottom end. The great thing about 400's is all the lowend torque that really gets the vehicle movin' outta the hole which is were it counts light to light, if you can hook it up. The bad thing about them is finding one, they are getting scarce and if you do find one most people want your left nut for it.

well luckily i have 2 in my backyard... and the guy that originally owned the one im gonna put in the monte also has 3 more... but shhh dont tell lol... yeah its pretty sad with what the government is doing to get rid of all the decent motors in the world... bunch of ****ing morons... build 350s give them out for free and blow up anyone who has a problem with it, and just FFS stop telling us that were running out of petrol, ****ing idiots... yeah but the sound of that build sounds amazing... and even for 2500 sounds like you got all the right sh*t... i definitely like the sound of that build but that means i cant go to muscle week since it would take me into summer to go with something like that but im better off lol

and i should have mentioned, most would consider my family a uhhhh - redneck - family haha all my friends call my back field the field of dreams because theres just cars and cars and cars that all at one point were awesome... before we started getting rid of them i think i probably had more sbc's in stock than summit does

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor