Question on Reverse Lights Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2008
Oxford, Massachusetts
Hi: 84 Cutlass, 305 chevy engine, auto

Question first - where are the reverse lights switch off the shifter/ transmission? I need to get the car inspected and it has no reverse lights.

The PO replaced the Engine transmission with a rebuilt 305 Chevy and Auto Trans with a Hurst sequential shifter. It's on the road and running great. It seems that every mechanical part is brand new. I can find wires off the shifter that show connection when in reverse but they are not connected to anything. Worse case is I set up a relay off of this switch and rewire the lights. I'd rather find the correct wires.

I'm the new owner of an 84 Cutlass that was a PO's project car. The guy who purchased it from him had a bittersweet situation as his parents refused to let him keep it as it has no airbags so he sold it to me for $800. I did not get any real information on it and I'm trying to sort through. The guy I bought it from want's nothing to do with it now and won't answer questions. :?:

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
Did the car come stock with a floor or colum shifter?

You will need to find the factory switch and reroute the wires to the reverse switch of the hurst shifter.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The reverse light switch on a G body in on the steering column. If it was a factory console shift car, it is still there because GM used a linkage to connect the floor shifter to the column to actuate the reverse lights/neutral safety switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor