radio install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pharoh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2008
Chicago
i look to install the radio this morning while i was up and the person i bought it from has cut the original harness so all i have is wires does anyone know what the colors are for the the "+","-" and the battery wire everything rom there i can figure out.

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
This looks to be right:

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/GM-Wiring.pdf

The connector is different, but the color codes seems right. The only disagreement between the 2 shown in the link above is in the Right Front color polarity (lt green/dark green)

Depending on your original radio, you may not have the provisions for a "constant on" wire (orange).

Use a voltmeter or test light to determine your power connections.

As for speaker polarity (assuming you are reusing the ones already installed), use a 9V battery and connect to speaker. If paper pushes out, the polarity is correct. If paper goes in, then you have it backwards. Do this BEFORE wiring the radio.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
figuring out the power/ground connections should be easy, its the speakers you may have a hard time with

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
I like that 9v battery trick, never heard about that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor