Radio Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebaron

Apprentice
Jul 11, 2006
I attempted to have a radio/cd installed by a friend, who created a custom harness out of two kits following the radio tag.

It would not turn on, even after doublechecking power with a Volt meter. I had someone doublecheck it and he noticed that the CD player is performing the eject function as it should when plugged in.

It is an Alpine CD player, but it is not plugged in to Antenna as that plug was torn off by someone before I bought the car and has not been replaced yet. He tried another Alpine unit that he had and it did the same thing.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
You've got *two* power sources hooked up, and hooked up correctly, right? :D

One "always hot" for the clock etc. and one switched for the business side of things? If its ejecting like it should then it sounds like you might have the first part down, does it show anything on the display? Basically does it act like it would if the car isn't running...

thebaron

Apprentice
Jul 11, 2006
My friend who doublechecked the wiring did check to see if power was on both as he explained it to me about the second power source. He wondered if the ground was not good enough or that the Antenna needed to be connected as part of ground? It does not Light up at all.

My power antenna has not worked for many years and someone removed the power lead, so my other friend ran a new line originally.

chris_48174

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2006
It is an Alpine CD player, but it is not plugged in to Antenna as that plug was torn off by someone before I bought the car and has not been replaced yet. He tried another Alpine unit that he had and it did the same thing.

Any ideas?
------------------------

You have to plug the antenna in regardless if it works or not, run a new line or patch the exsisting one. This will make your radio power up and function correctly. I have had the same problem before.

hope this helps

Chris_48174

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
:? What diff does plugging the antenna in have on the operation of the radio itself? And which antenna wire are you talking about? The power/switch lead for the power antenna up/down (controlled by the radio) or the actual antenna lead (the big fat black one)

To me it sounds like his switched (ON for run/acc) isn't hooked up. If the antenna isn't hooked up the radio should still work but he'll just be getting static....

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the antenna will only give you ground and that radio has a ground wire in the harness and you shouldn't rely on the ground from the antenna anyway

chris_48174

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2006
I was thinking the main antenna hook up in the back of the radio, not the power antenna (remote wire). I have had that same problem where I hooked the whole radio up and forgot to connect the big fat black antenna, needless to say I got the same result.
Yes your radio is getting power so the cd will eject. That antenna cable acts like the main ground and it has to be plugged in. You can get a new power antenna kit for under 25 dollars. try that and let us know what the income is.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
^^^^..I have a 9835 Alpine deck and unless it's different form other Alpines the attenna does not need to be connected for any other reason that to listen to the radio....I ran mine for weeks without an antenna hooked up...I have sat radio...with an Alpine deck if you should not be relying on the attenna for your ground..Alpine decks have a larger than usual guage wire for the ground and it needs it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor