Radio Wire Harness (1987 Oldsmobile 442)

Dktalee442

n00b
Dec 30, 2022
I’m currently rebuilding a 1987 442, I managed to find a Delco radio out of another 88 cutlass. However it didn’t come with the radio harness. Upon further inspection and removal of the double din that was installed. Someone botched the original harness from the cutlass. I’m having trouble trying to find a reverse wiring harness to try and remedy all the cuts and electrical tape, and get it back to its original look. Does anyone on here have some photos of there factory radio hooked up, and or a place that I can order a couple harnesses to get this to work.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I have this. Maybe you could use the connectors that go into this radio to resplice back into your car's harness:

1681071152190.png

Contact me if you want a full size pic. These connectors will plug into your stock DIN radio (I have one handy to show if ya want).

Reactions: 2 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
does anyone here know if the plugin connectors on a single din stock radio unit from a '78-79 is the same as 81+? There's a Pontiac Bonnieville at a salvage yard i go to with a Stock radio yet in it, but not sure if the wiring/connectors design changed. i thought it was a 1981-83 car but might be 85-86. I need the rear Speaker wiring too with factory connectors.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
does anyone here know if the plugin connectors on a single din stock radio unit from a '78-79 is the same as 81+? There's a Pontiac Bonnieville at a salvage yard i go to with a Stock radio yet in it, but not sure if the wiring/connectors design changed. i thought it was a 1981-83 car but might be 85-86. I need the rear Speaker wiring too with factory connectors.
All years of our cars had the same black, white/natural, blue connectors. Now based on which radio/speaker set was installed the white & blue connectors may vary with color wires & having 2 or 4 wires to the speakers. The black may have the wire for the power antenna. The only other connector which is the same/simular used on rear speakers would be for the digital display radios for clock memory & to dim the display when the lights are on. This will have an orange & brown wires.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
It's alot of work to have a crap sounding radio. Consider something from Classic Autosound or if it's just for looks, install it not working.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
It's alot of work to have a crap sounding radio. Consider something from Classic Autosound or if it's just for looks, install it not working.
I only planned to use the original Radio, with upgraded speakers. I normally don't listen to the radio when driving. Too Distractive. Plus having ADHD i can never focus.
Never heard of the other two.

Reactions: 1 user

84cutlasssupreme

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2019
You should be able to find the wire diagram on-line by goolgling the year of the car & the radio. As for the Pontiac in the yard, look at the 8th # from the right on the VIN for the 80s. For example, I had a '84 Cutlass & the letter was E. Started with A for 1980, etc. They had a 12 plug connector. Good luck.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
You should be able to find the wire diagram on-line by goolgling the year of the car & the radio. As for the Pontiac in the yard, look at the 8th # from the right on the VIN for the 80s. For example, I had a '84 Cutlass & the letter was E. Started with A for 1980, etc. They had a 12 plug connector. Good luck.
I've tried Googling before, Never really works. Just hours and hours into a twisted hole. I prefer to use the Original GM Books. Would the parts catalog show it? Or do i need an actual Wiring Harness Book? I bought one for my 82 square body hella Hard to find... but not sure about the car.

84cutlasssupreme

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2019
I've tried Googling before, Never really works. Just hours and hours into a twisted hole. I prefer to use the Original GM Books. Would the parts catalog show it? Or do i need an actual Wiring Harness Book? I bought one for my 82 square body hella Hard to find... but not sure about the car.
The parts books would not show the wiring diagrams. A GM Olds repair manual probably would in the wiring section. I had the diagram once but I sold my car 4 years ago.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor