Ranger, s10, Sonoma, or Dakota

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Re: Anyone ever have a Ford Ranger?

I would suggest comparing an S10 to a newer Colorado/Canyon. The S10 will seem very crude. You were prepared to buy a new (newish) Ranger so I can assume you have a pretty good budget. $5K-$10K can buy a pretty nice Colorado/Canyon in my area. They are better than the S10 in every way that I can think of. Just something you might consider.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI

I would agree that the Colorado/Canyon is a better vehicle than the S10/S15 ... I have a 2005 Colorado delivery truck with 212,000 miles. It runs pretty good and, depending on how many Charlotte runs we do, it'll get between 22-26 mpg.

*The Colorado/Canyon have expensive brake rotors :idea:

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI

The 4.3L TBI engine is a good engine. The 4.3L vortec engine was more problematic. Neither of them were good on gas

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*

I know this might open a can of worms but I see it as fact -- The 4.3 is a true compromise engine. It was obviously the lazy/cheap way to power GM's fleet level vehicles. The extra tooling was minimal and it fit the hole in the engine bay. It wasn't particularly efficient, smooth, or powerful. Sure, it got the job done and plenty of us have had good experiences but we have superior options now. The Atlas class engine is designed as a truck engine and has a pretty solid track record. To me the choice is clear.

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD

DRIVEN said:
I know this might open a can of worms but I see it as fact -- The 4.3 is a true compromise engine. It was obviously the lazy/cheap way to power GM's fleet level vehicles. The extra tooling was minimal and it fit the hole in the engine bay. It wasn't particularly efficient, smooth, or powerful. Sure, it got the job done and plenty of us have had good experiences but we have superior options now. The Atlas class engine is designed as a truck engine and has a pretty solid track record. To me the choice is clear.

This is very subject to opinion and experience. I have had 3 4.3L and never a problem with any of them. When I was still driving OTR the mechanic in our shop used to work for a bakery and their fleet vehicles were 4.3 GM trucks. Many of them ran up to 300K without any major problems. My 93 S-10 still gets at least 20 mpg on the highway. It runs smooth and has plenty of power. I actually thought about getting a Colorado/Canyon, but honestly they are pretty expensive for what they are and they aren't much better fuel efficiency wise than a newer full size pickup. If looking for a decent daily driver for winter, the S-10 with 4x4 and 4.3 would be a good choice. I would go with an older on that isn't a Vortec, the TBI is pretty maintenance free.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario

DRIVEN said:
I would suggest comparing an S10 to a newer Colorado/Canyon. The S10 will seem very crude. You were prepared to buy a new (newish) Ranger so I can assume you have a pretty good budget. $5K-$10K can buy a pretty nice Colorado/Canyon in my area. They are better than the S10 in every way that I can think of. Just something you might consider.

Well yes that was the budget my dad was giving me but now that he got the quote to do the front of the house, he doesnt want to spend that much on a truck for me now. Im still looking and the Ranger, S10, or Sonoma, if a canyon or colorado come into the right place and budget he is looking for then i would definitely pick that up over any of those other choices.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI

If you're stuck choosing between an s10 or ranger go with a ranger. I don't know how new you want but my brother used to own a 99 ranger he bought new with a 3.0 v6, excellent truck but fuel mileage wasn't great but wasn't horrible either. The 3.0 OHV is a pretty decent engine as well, not sure when they quit using them though. As far as the 4.0 my friend who is a Ford mechanic and Ford nut drives an Explorer with a 4.0 and has told me that if I were to ever buy one to make sure the cam chains, cassettes have already been replaced. When his went it was easier for him to just put a newer engine in.

journeyforce

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2012

I am surprised that the Mazda B series truck was not mentioned. The B Series (B2300 for the 2.3l 4 banger) is a Ford Ranger with a Mazda badge and more chrome trim. It was made in the USA and is actually cheaper to buy used then the Ranger(because the Ranger has better brand cache then the B Series) even though it is the same truck.

What i think you are looking for is what commercial sales folks call a "work truck" The stripped down truck that has rubber mats instead of carpets for easy cleaning. Go to a Ford dealer with a commercial sales office and ask them for a Ranger work truck.

The 4.0l is crap and the gas mileage is poor(you get better gas mileage in a Towncar) the 3.0l (called Vulcan engine) is not the best in MPG's but is very reliable. The engine was in the 86-07 Taurus/Sable and can be beat on without damaging it.

Stick with the 1993-2011 Ranger/B Series as they are the best generation. The 83-92(aka boxy trucks) had major rust issues. Junk yards are full of Rangers so parts will be easy for find for decades.

Look for a 97-2005 Ranger as you can pick them up dirt cheap and they are easy to work on. Since this looks like a to the dump/parts getter/ haul stuff truck that will sit a lot of the time then get a older used one.

Look also at the Isuzu Hombre(rebadged S-10) stay away from the early VORTEC engines as they had drivability issues and stay away from the headgasket eater 2.2l
The Toyota Tacoma is a nice truck but even the oldest versions command high prices

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Ok so i was also looking at the Dakota and i can get one in good shape with all power options plus a crew cab for cheaper then a ford ranger with the 4.0l v6. Has anyone ever had Dakotas before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor