Rc cars and electric guitars for my sons Christmas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
My son asked Santa for an electric guitar. But I have no idea what guitar or how to get him taught.
He asked me for an rc car like his uncle Jesse had. I've bought cheap ones and he brakes them so fast. He wants to build ramps, do jumps and other offroad-type things with it. Any guidance on either subject is greatly appreciated.

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Not sure what you’re looking to spend, but I bought my son an Arrma Granite 3s a few years back for his birthday. It’s an entry level hobby grade vehicle, but it’s fast, does killer flips and jumps and most important, it’s pretty durable so we don’t have to replace parts all the time. The throttle and steering can be easily adjusted for beginners too, so a newbie doesn’t run it into a door or someone’s leg at 30mph:)

He wanted to learn guitar this year too, so we got an Amazon special 3/4 scale electric for like $75. He’s 7 so not big enough yet for a full sizer. Seems to tune in pretty easy and sounds decent on my fender amp.

Reactions: 1 users

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
My son asked Santa for an electric guitar. But I have no idea what guitar or how to get him taught.
He asked me for an rc car like his uncle Jesse had. I've bought cheap ones and he brakes them so fast. He wants to build ramps, do jumps and other offroad-type things with it. Any guidance on either subject is greatly appreciated.
I have 32 years experience in RC is my side passion lol. How old is your son? I would be happy to lend some advice based on his age/experience level.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
I have several Jackson Dinkys, Floyd Rose and EMG pickups, all the toys, made in Japan in the 1990s they can be had for $3-400 and are good guitars. Also might look at some ESP models they can be cheap crap to really fine players, can also find a real nice player for $3-400.

Reactions: 1 user

78Regal350

Greasemonkey
Apr 13, 2015
Brookville, IN
Check out the Squier Stratocaster guitar starter pack. Currently $260 (check Amazon or Guitar Center), and includes a guitar, gig bag (aka soft guitar case), small amp, & cord. Guitar Center or any other local music store would be a good place to start with lessons.

Reactions: 3 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Check out the Squier Stratocaster guitar starter pack. Currently $260 (check Amazon or Guitar Center), and includes a guitar, gig bag (aka soft guitar case), small amp, & cord. Guitar Center or any other local music store would be a good place to start with lessons.
I was gonna suggest this same thing. Until your son shows he really wants to play, I wouldn't spend a lot. I bought a cheap acoustic guitar off Amazon about 4 years ago for my daughter, she's since upgraded to nice guitars and amps and is extremely good.

• Agree

WyoGN

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2022
Fender Squier Bullet...a little smaller but not too much that he'll want to get rid of it once he starts shredding

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis

That Squier kit seems like a good deal to get started, and SS_Malibu makes sense not to spend a bunch until we know he's gonna commit to learning. Learning guitar is about the only thing I've ever failed to pick up. I tried at 12 but lost interest.
I have 32 years experience in RC is my side passion lol. How old is your son? I would be happy to lend some advice based on his age/experience level.
He's 10, he's smart but like to push the envelope. His uncle built a track in my uncles backyard and the jumps just destroyed his Walmart trucks. And they'd die in like 20 mins of him playing.
Not sure what you’re looking to spend, but I bought my son an Arrma Granite 3s a few years back for his birthday. It’s an entry level hobby grade vehicle, but it’s fast, does killer flips and jumps and most important, it’s pretty durable so we don’t have to replace parts all the time. The throttle and steering can be easily adjusted for beginners too, so a newbie doesn’t run it into a door or someone’s leg at 30mph:)

He wanted to learn guitar this year too, so we got an Amazon special 3/4 scale electric for like $75. He’s 7 so not big enough yet for a full sizer. Seems to tune in pretty easy and sounds decent on my fender amp.

I wasn't wanting to spend much more then a couple hundred on either but I would on the rc car, since I've spent double that on junk over the years and he's gonna use it like I use my tools.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
Since he is 10, I would personally look towards the Traxxas Stampede. Started my kids with them. They are super tough, run on a Nimh battery so you can teach battery safety/responsibility without the risk of a lipo. Plus you can get everything you need to go for approximately $200 bucks. Parts are very readily available, cheap and easy to work on. And they are super tough. I even have one in my fleet the kids call the "send it" truck. I drive it like I don't care and beat the snot out of it. And still have not broke a thing. Not sure where your located, I am a big proponent of supporting local hobby shops as that is what helps the hobby...but you can easily shop online too. Here is a link to a very reputable shop with great prices online.

Just grab one of these as well and your 100% ready to go as it only comes with a DC ported charger. This will allow you to wall charge.

Feel free to shop around...shoot Amazon may even have a good deal. Just ensure its a ready to run and not a truck only sale. Sometimes you will see the truck only for like $160ish. PM me if you have any questions or need help!

• Winner

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
I have a little bit of R/C knowledge.

If you use FB Marketplace (or any other marketplace online), I'd buy him a used Traxxas entry level vehicle. I don't know if you can go wrong with the model, but my first car was a Rustler...the 35 mph version. Breaking is a part of bashing, so that's going to happen, you just want a vehicle that you can fix.

One thing I've learned about some kids....don't overspend. They go in and out of hobbies depending on what was on youtube that day. Let them prove that they are serious about something and that they will take care of it before putting down "real" money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor