Rear Springs Falling Out Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
Put pics pf what you make.
I honestly just have a flat piece of steel about 1.5" wide by 5" long with two 1/2" holes drilled in them. You can't see the bolt for to the bolt and shock being attached but you get the idea. And I haven't cut off the excess steel yet still mocking up the final placement.
IMG_20210929_225621.jpg

Last edited:

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Why is that?
I'm not sure what others think, but I feel as weight/force is applied, the bracket is going to want to pivot as installed. It would need to be tied into two different points on the anchor material to prevent it from trying to pivot. The middle image is how I've done A-body cars. The 2nd one is how I've done a G-body that utilized a trailing-arm relocation bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_20210929_225621.jpg
    IMG_20210929_225621.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20210929_225621 (1) - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20210929_225621 (1) - Copy.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20210929_225621 (2) - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20210929_225621 (2) - Copy.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
I'm not sure what others think, but I feel as weight/force is applied, the bracket is going to want to pivot as installed. It would need to be tied into two different points on the anchor material to prevent it from trying to pivot. The middle image is how I've done A-body cars. The 2nd one is how I've done a G-body that utilized a trailing-arm relocation bracket.
Yes that makes perfectly good sense and it's very true. However I was just gonna weld the bracket into place to prevent this. The bolt is simply there to hold it in place while I weld it up but I will leave it in afterwards. I have contemplated on added an extra piece of steel perpendicular to what I have towards the control arm mount.

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Yes that makes perfectly good sense and it's very true. However I was just gonna weld the bracket into place to prevent this. The bolt is simply there to hold it in place while I weld it up but I will leave it in afterwards. I have contemplated on added an extra piece of steel perpendicular to what I have towards the control arm mount.
Ahh.... Using the bolt to simply hold it in place for final welding does make sense. I like my brackets to be bolt-on in case something else gets changed/upgraded.
Either way works though.

Reactions: 1 user

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
Ahh.... Using the bolt to simply hold it in place for final welding does make sense. I like my brackets to be bolt-on in case something else gets changed/upgraded.
Either way works though.
I honestly don't plan on upgrading anything else in the rear other than a posi unit.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
If it’s just a pice of flat stock, you will need some gussets. Otherwise it will just bend.
It depends on material thickness & the distance between the 2 pivot points really. That being said, it seems like he has a plan & is only showing one step of an ongoing process.

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Why do you need the bracket at all, unless you went to a rear disk conversion and the caliper doesn't allow the shock to mount in its original position, it that the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor