Rear Window Sweep Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Okay, Ive got a question for you wagon owners.
What do you guys use to take the staples out of the rear sweeps ? I was lucky to have an extra set of door panels to play with but I cracked the plastic on both of them trying to get the darn staples out. I even tried using a Dremel tool with a small whiz wheel. What am I missing ?????
I just picked up two more door panels today at a local yard. I need to get the sweeps off because Im changing the vinyl to a different color. Maybe even cloth. Not sure yet. I also need to fix the existing cracks that are in the plastic already. I was thinking about using some glass cloth.

Has anyone had to do this to their rear doors ??

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I used a Dremel and care but the plastic did not survive that well. I hope to collect a pair of used up front door panels and recover the aluminum equivalents, cut them down and see if I can replicate the plastic sweep panels in the rear door panels.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
The issue you might have will be where the lock button goes through. The metal fronts done have the same little bulge that the backs have. Im thinking thats why they did those in plastic.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Good catch. I bet I could cut that feature out and epoxy it to the aluminum, blending it in. I'll have to remember that when I eventually take this on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor