Rearend Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullmonte

n00b
Apr 23, 2010
I have a '78 monte and was wondering what rear ends would directly interchange with it. Looking for either a 10 bolt 8.5, or 12 bolt. Also if anyone has either and wants to sell let me know, even a 9 inch would be perfect.

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
there are 8.5s that are a direct bolt in. there is not a 9 inch that i know of tha is a direct bolt in they need the correct brackets and to be narrowed. and i have heard that the A body 12 bolts are the right width but the top mounts have to altered. hope that helps.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
There are g-body 8.5's that are a complete bolt in. Although you will need a one inch shorter driveshaft. The a-body 10 and 12 bolts will bolt in with the correct upper arms and moving the spring perches, but depending on the year they are 1-2+ inches wider. Moser, Strange, and Quick preformance offer bolt in 9 inch rears too. There is the b-body 8.5 that is probably the widest option of all, it will require different uppers or I've heard you can drill out the other set of holes in the uppers and shorten them and it might work. And then there is the 8.8 ford rear that will work also. It gives you a really bad instant center though which baseline suspension has a kit to correct. I'm know I haven't listed every detail of all the rears but this should get you started in your research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor