rearend quest

Status
Not open for further replies.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
i do not know for sure so don't count on me. peg leg is only one wheel getting power no matter what, ltd slip is when power switches between the rear two wheels but never at the same time. someone feel free to correct me if i am wrong

81_2dr_bu

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2008
mass
well thanks for the info i am just trying to figure out what i recieved for $800.00 i guess worse case scenerio i have a stornger rear than the 7.5 stocker hey can i have you tail lights and quater extensions lol

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
78mali350 said:
i do not know for sure so don't count on me. peg leg is only one wheel getting power no matter what, ltd slip is when power switches between the rear two wheels but never at the same time. someone feel free to correct me if i am wrong

I might be wrong but here is what I know it as. Limited slip locks both wheels when going in a straight line and unlocks them when you are going around a corner.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
peg leg is an open differential. it allows the wheels to turn at different rates to make turns easier but if one wheel looses traction it just keeps spinning and the other wheel will just sit there.
LSD allows the wheels to turn at different rates also, but only to an extent. since power is transfered to both wheels at all times (not always equally) if one wheel loses traction, the other wheel can still push the car.
a locker powers both wheels equally and doesn't allow a difference in speed between them when activated--usually permanantly or manually activated but there are a couple that can ratchet on turns.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Actually, posi-traction is the Chevrolet marketing name for limited slip differentials in the 60's-80's.

Easy way to tell if you have open or limited slip diff: Spin the pinion and note if the wheels go the same or opposite directions. The same is posi ( they are locked) and opposite is open.

R/T kota

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2007
Hamilton Ontario
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Actually, posi-traction is the Chevrolet marketing name for limited slip differentials in the 60's-80's.

Exactly my point
They now use the term limited slip which seems to now confuse everyone thinking it is not a true positive trac rear end

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
okay so now i am lost, LSD and posi are the same thing then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor