rearend ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
i got a chance to pick up 8.5 10 bolt out of a 73 Monte Carlo. Will it fit? I think its wider so would i need aftermarket control arms? or is it a lost cause?

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
it is way too wide it needs to be 52.5" backing plate to backing plate I think

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I half-assed measured it and from backing plate to backing plate it was about 56in. i thought it could use some different control arms.

monzaz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 2, 2007
Richfield, Oh
73-77 into your g-body

All the mounting points are different for everything...

1. Upper control arms need to be shorter and off a little to the outside.
2. shock mounts are in the front the g-bodys are in the rear
3. spring perch cups are wider than the g-gbody need to be moved inward.
4. lower control arm mounts are wider and need to be moved inward to be right on too.
5. over all width of the rear is 4" wider than your g-body
6. drive shaft will need to be shortened 3/4" - 1" (BUT this is common with any 8.5 swap )

We do sell the conversion upper arms and have them custom made .

We make g-body housing out of the 73-77 centers and put all the correct perches and narrow the rear for direct bolt in to your g-body car. All your stock brakes springs lower control arms all can be used.

Good luck with the rear if you try to make it work.

Jim

schoust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2009
I have a similar delima. I am going to be making more power than the stock peg leg can handle but man there is really no place to turn with these car's other than a GN rear end which is rear as hens teeth or a darn Moser /Currie 9 complete. Anyone have another suggestion???

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
search on here there are plenty of solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor