Recommended Cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
The Elgin 1840p is EXTREMELY popular among the budget LS crowd and Matt Happel has used it in nitrous, turbo, supercharged and NA applications. It just plain works. Check some of his videos, might help you out with lots of questions.

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Fwiw, BTR owns Lil John Motorsports(look up their business address here in KY) so LJMS is ALWAYS gonna refer someone to a BTR cam.

Not saying BTR stuff isn't nice as I have their .660 platinum springs, push rods, etc on my 5.3.

I bought my cam from Tick. It's a stage 1 boost cam designed for the 4.8/5.3 engines that should work well in NA app too. The lift is .613/.598 but the duration is only 215/219 with an LSA of 114+3. Also, Cam Motion grinds their sticks...mine came direct from Cam Motion and it's a beauty!!!

As the other guys said, be honest with yourself and how you want it to perform on the street! MAKE sure you get a cam that operates in the powerband you plan to drive in. It's no fun driving a hotrod on the street that doesn't make power down low, trust me!!!! Also remember, if you're staying EFI you can save a tune for the track depending on which software you use.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I have Dyno-Mation 5 loaded on my computer. If you want to run some specs, I'll give you a hand. Let me know.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Looking at my cam card I have .610int .573exh and at .050 duration 223/230 lobe sep is 115
Now this is an all forged 370" (6.1L) with Fast Lsxr 102 ported by Tony Mamo and Total engine airflow stage 1 799 heads and 11.3 to 1 compression.
Again different than yours (6.2) with rec port heads I believe. Using the 4L80E transmission I can use stock converter but will go one step up on stall. Probably 2200ish. But I am only interested in 0 to 60 acceleration and maybe 60 to 100mph on highways. Still have a long way to go but sticking to the plan. And in most ways the camshaft is the brains of the plan. Take your time and do your homework. Should be a very very fun ride at under 3500lb as my Cutlass is very bare bones. Roll up windows and all.
There used to be an old adage in the hot rod world. Pick out the cam you want and then go one step lower. Most will pick something one step more radical. If you ask those guys they will probably tell you they should have gone smaller. I'm still a fool. But I'm also a lot older and like to think, wiser
Good luck with whatever you choose !

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Looking at my cam card I have .610int .573exh and at .050 duration 223/230 lobe sep is 115
Now this is an all forged 370" (6.1L) with Fast Lsxr 102 ported by Tony Mamo and Total engine airflow stage 1 799 heads and 11.3 to 1 compression.
Again different than yours (6.2) with rec port heads I believe. Using the 4L80E transmission I can use stock converter but will go one step up on stall. Probably 2200ish. But I am only interested in 0 to 60 acceleration and maybe 60 to 100mph on highways. Still have a long way to go but sticking to the plan. And in most ways the camshaft is the brains of the plan. Take your time and do your homework. Should be a very very fun ride at under 3500lb as my Cutlass is very bare bones. Roll up windows and all.
There used to be an old adage in the hot rod world. Pick out the cam you want and then go one step lower. Most will pick something one step more radical. If you ask those guys they will probably tell you they should have gone smaller. I'm still a fool. But I'm also a lot older and like to think, wiser

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
The Elgin 1840p is EXTREMELY popular among the budget LS crowd and Matt Happel has used it in nitrous, turbo, supercharged and NA applications. It just plain works. Check some of his videos, might help you out with lots of questions.

I bought the Elgin 1840p for the 5.3 turbo build going in my Z71. It's a recipe that's been documented to work well with naturally aspirated and boosted set ups.

There are so many "Dipshyt Motorsports or Dingleberry racing" guys out there touting their own cam grind. Most if not all are only marketing a cam grind available from one of the major cam manufacturers. Do your homework, choose carefully and save yourself some money.

Reactions: 1 user

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
Thanks everyone. What I am looking to run is the 376 ci LS3. Planning around 11..2:1 compression. Running stock ls3 intake with 92mm throttle body. The heads I’m beginning to second guess my choice. Was looking at the Chevy CNC heads but now not so sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor