Regal Bag set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbartell

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
I just got a bag set up unexpectedly for a great deal!
Just manual valve switches, but good bags tank and compressor.
It looks like a pretty straightforward kit, and install but I wanted to know if anyone could recommend a front shock relocation kit?

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
A common outboard shock set-up for shock-in-coil apps when switching to bags is the GM C10 (63-87's). You can have a tab welded to the lower a-arm for the lower mount. The original C10 truck set-up used a stud on the side of the frame but it was cantered @ a specific angle for that app. There are aftermarket upper shock relocation brackets that bolt-on & could prob be easily tweaked to work or just use 2 flat tabs welded to the frame for uppers.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
You'll lose turning radius in case you didn't know. Otherwise get RideTech front bags that have the shock built-in. Unfortunately they are $$$

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

mbartell

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
A common outboard shock set-up for shock-in-coil apps when switching to bags is the GM C10 (63-87's). You can have a tab welded to the lower a-arm for the lower mount. The original C10 truck set-up used a stud on the side of the frame but it was cantered @ a specific angle for that app. There are aftermarket upper shock relocation brackets that bolt-on & could prob be easily tweaked to work or just use 2 flat tabs welded to the frame for uppers.
Thank you! I've been looking at s-10 ones because it's the same front end. Looks like the s-10 bracket Nissan Pathfinder shock is the usual set up.

How big are upper and lower cups fror the front and rear? The set I have has 4) 3" uppers, 2 ) 2" lowers, and 2) flat plates. The bags are airlift dominator 2500's.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
The S10 ones that aren't a complete kit (a-arms, bags, & all related parts) use the same basic 'common set-up' I was describing.

You can cup the front lower stock arms or find adaptable lower bag brackets for them (1st pic are some that can be bolted in place or welded).

Upper front mounts use the standard cupped spacer w/an offset threaded stud (also in the 1st image) that utilizes the original upper shock mounting holes to locate & secure the bracket.

The shocks are mounted along the outer edge of the lower arms (about midway or ~9" away from the lower BJ).

There are several styles of upper shock brackets. Some bolt to the frame & use the same upper shock mounting arrangement as a stock g-body/s-10 w/a stud. Some use a double shear bracket on top & stud through the eyelet lower mount. Some use stud through the eyelet upper & lower. It's up to you/your shops fab skills.

2500's would be spec'd for the front. They're a bit too much for the rear if mounted where the factory coils go. A lighter sleeve bag would be better suited for the factory location. You can make what you have work but it won't be 'ideal' for the rear. Double convoluted bags are typically used in a 1:1 ratio set-up only in HD apps. Lt duty apps have them typically @ a different motion ratio that uses the leverage to make them work (rear suspension link bar vs directly on the rear end).

Attachments

• s-l1600_16_1.jpg
    s-l1600_16_1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 177
  • s10air-ride shock set-up.png
    s10air-ride shock set-up.png
    161.7 KB · Views: 189
  • s10air-ride shock set-up2.png
    s10air-ride shock set-up2.png
    137.9 KB · Views: 193
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

mbartell

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
Ok, that makes sense. Ithink l figured out an easy cheater way to do the rear airbag attachment. Screw a urethane spring isolator on the bottom plate l already have. But it would be better to find a correct dimeter tube and weld it on.
this is the kit l got. Pretty sure it’s the bc fab level 1 manual kit.
330BBB44-5D7A-4D3C-BB16-6887BEE71FE9.jpeg

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Looks like a good starting point especially if it was @ a good price.

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Almost makes me miss my old manual setup

mbartell

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
It’s all in and working! Still haven’t decided on the front shocks. I’ve seen s10 set ups that notched into the frame, but that looks tough to figure out, and l want to do it once, you know?
anyway, my ideal stock-looking ride height is 60psi front, 30 rear.
A176EA59-6F38-4706-9794-97BCA643FBFD.jpeg

Attachments

• DCE6096A-DA0D-475B-B85A-BC03E3969928.jpeg
    DCE6096A-DA0D-475B-B85A-BC03E3969928.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 159
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor