Regal transmission question

Status
Not open for further replies.

muthstryker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2007
Well the regal im buying, the transmission only goes to 1st gear and only 30 mph, well what is a good transmission to bolt up to the motor? the motor is a 3.8L 2bbl V6 he thinks its a 283?

PILOT

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2007
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
My 200-4R suits me well, and I've heard others with more HP like theirs too. I just love the fact that it has overdrive, great for gas mileage on the highway runs.

There is always a debate on which transmission is better. The TH400 is almost indestructable, but it also robs a lot of HP.

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GM_transmissions for more detailed info.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
the 200-4r can be a bolt in with a factory 200-4r crossmember IF your car is 84-88, if not you will need to either build a crossmember extension or buy an aftermarket crossmember and buy their frame extension with it.

If the car has a V6 in it now then you don't want a very heavy trans, might try to find a th-350 to stick in there, should bolt right in place and take anything the V6 will throw at it.

Randy

muthstryker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2007
the regal is an 85, i will post up some pictures later tonight. im buying it from a friend of mine and he told me $800, hes the second owner, the transmission went out on it, he went to a guy to have it fixed the guy fixed it supposedly. the next day the trannys second and up gears didnt work. he sent it back to the guy and the guy said he couldnt fix it so the car has been sitting for 2 years.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I'd install a TH200 4R and a 3.23 axle. It should get better acceleration and better fuel economy with that setup. (3.23 is better off the line, less throttle opening to get going, plus it compensates for the added weight of the overdrive trans and any additional power it takes to spin it. Plus, it gives you a great final drive for highway cruising with the 33% overdrive it becomes a 2.16)The car may already have the 3.23 axle, look under the trunk lid at the data sticker and see if it has code GU5. If it has GU1, it's a 2.41 gear and the car will be very slow with it. If you just want to get it running, install another TH200C. They're cheap ( $100 used at the right yard) and it will get you moving again.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
I would go for the 200R4 for your V6 if you want to improve your mileage with a transmission that is relatively durable, it handles up to 300 HP just fine, well suited for the 110 HP of your 3.8. If you want to stick with a 3 speed, go with the TH350, it is much more hefty internally than the TH200C, in fact it's probably the next step down in durability from the nearly indestructible TH400. The 200/200c are basically junk, where stock TH350's can take 400 HP dished out to them, more if modified.

-Mark-

muthstryker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2007
hey guys thanks for the replies, going to go get the car next week from my friends house. i will check the code on the trunk and what not. is there anything i can do to the 3.8 to get a little more horsepower untill i do an engine swap?

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
There is not much you can safely do to the 3.8 to get more power from it. I think there might be a K&N air filter for it that might give it a couple of HP, that's about it short of a free flowing exhaust, but I would save the expense of the latter for a V8 engine swap.

Until you can replace it, it's best left alone. If you try to add things to it like any type of forced induction, you'll just quickly destroy it. It has a great valve train, and is a generally reliable engine. It's external oil pump will not handle much beyond what the engine was designed to do (a-la GM early 1980's) and if you try to run high RPM's or increase the oil pressure it will blow out the crappy rope type rear main oil seal the engine has along with causing other problems you don't want to experience. (Any one who has removed the timing chain cover casting from one of these engines knows what I mean LOL!)

-Mark-

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor