Regal transmission question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
If it were my 3.8, I would put a heavier weight oil in it, like either 40 weight single viscosity, or 20 w-50 multi-viscosity oil, to help it last a little longer. This should help keep the oil pressure up with what by now is likely one very worn aluminum timing cover with steel pump gears in it.I did this with mine when I used it for pizza delivery, and it lasted over 200k miserable miles. It still ran when I pulled the damn thing, and most 3.8's were not known to last that long. The best mod you can make to it for the least money would be the 3.23 gears if it has the 2.41. I had the 2.41's in mine with the 355 swap and it really held it back-and that's with 3x the hp of the 3.8. The swap to the 3.23's cost me under $100 and it made the car a whole different animal. Better on gas, quicker acceleration. One other cheap mod you may be able to do is get the 4bbl carb and manifold off a 4.1 V6 and swap them on it. Maybe even give it a little more initial timing. Other than that, save up for more power in the form of another engine. G bodies are big cars and need bigger engines than the 3.8 (turbo cars excluded) to make them happy.

krrogers81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 17, 2007
Speaking of 2004r's...Does anyone know where the best place to get one is? I was looking at bowtieoverdrives.com and I am not sure that is the best way to go. Any thoughts?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
krrogers81 said:
Speaking of 2004r's...Does anyone know where the best place to get one is? I was looking at bowtieoverdrives.com and I am not sure that is the best way to go. Any thoughts?
I got mine from the junkyard for $75 and then I had it rebuilt by a reputable local trans shop. They come in G bodies and B bodies mostly, but may also have come in other body styles I can't think of. Look at 307 and 305 cars as they would be the most likely candidates, and Th200 4R's are universal fit, meaning they have the bolt holes for both BOP and Chevy block face patterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor