Remind me not to buy an F150

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxide80

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2016
Maine
My 2004 f150 decided one day to have the fuel pump control module catch on fire.... actually burned the paint off the bottom of the box, followed by the fuse panel melting down... the throttle body wiring melted off..... and the ecu committed suicide....

My 2010 only issue there was rear door wiring harnesses would break at the plug..... leaving the rear windows stuck down when it rained....

Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Hey . . . um . . . Don't buy a F150!

notsure.gif
How's that?

No?

OK, how's this?

I actually had to lemon law my 2011 F150 [Ecobusted constantly] but they still sell a shitload of them. Among just some PITA stuff, the early ones had two primary problems they have hopefully fixed by now. The intercoolers worked TOO well causing excessive condensation so you are cruising for a while mainly 65-70mph and pull out to pass someone, put your foot in it, and nothing . . . sucks in all of that water and it's like you've completely run out of gas. Not sure what they ever did to fix it? And, they passed emissions by running enormously rich on cold start to get those primary cats up to cooking temp more quickly which not only made your tailpipes look WAY worse than any of our TDI diesels ever did but to the point the primary cats would literally get clogged up enough with soot to kill your mpgs. My 18-22 quickly went to 13-18 yet Ford said that was within their acceptable range so unless they got so plugged they would latch a code, you were SOL even though I got a service tech to admit if I changed those cats out on my dime periodically my mileage would remain 18-22. Um, if I wanted 13-18 I would have gotten the 6L V8! It was when I was pulling out to pass an 18 wheeler on US-50 [two lane] with a Nascar drafter Dodge Charger right on my rear bumper with my wife in the truck and nearly got her killed that it went back to the dealer when we got back to town. I just did a ditch dive, the trucker hit the shoulder on the other side, and Mr Nascar was able to pull back in, as the traffic from the other direction arrived. I walked in when we got back and threw the keys down so hard on the sales manager's desk, and walked out, he didn't even call me for 2 days. And I guess it wasn't a true lemon law procedure. He just bought the truck back because Ford legal actually dared me to lemon law it. I've never even heard of that . . . before or since anyway.

Have I told this story before on another thread in reverse order?

Just had one of those Vuja De feelings. :unsure:

I'd probably research it again and take another look at the F150 if I needed a full size truck to see what was done to fix it or what else was available but would prefer just a 3.0L clean diesel . . . if the USA knew how to make and gear one? The Duramax they put in the Colorado and Canyon it turns out they didn't even make, just OEM'd it, and they put a 6 speed transmission behind it rated for 39 lb ft less torque than the "stock" diesel was putting out. Better not be doing a performance tune on that . . . be lucky if the transmission makes it past 50K on the stock tune. Was pumped about seeing the new Ranger as it was supposed to have a clean diesel but . . . 2.3L gasser only with a freakin 10 speed transmission. Imagine driving through the flint hills with that? 6-7-8-7-8-9-6-7-5-6-7-8-9-10-8-9-8 . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
apparently the real issue with the seatbelt in the B pillar is that the "clamping" part causes sparks when decelerating from speed at a high rate of deceleration which causes it to clamp and then throw off sparks. those sparks then ignite the insulation. ...... lovely.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That new Ford 10 speed auto is designed by Ford but is a joint venture between GM and Ford financially. Yes, the new GM's will have a Ford trans. I really like the ZF 8 speed in our new Challenger, just like the Nag 1 in our old one was the best part of the drivetrain. The shifts aren't noticeable due to the nice power band with the Pentastar V6. I hated the 6 spd GM put behind the 5.3 LS but mainly because the stock LS is just a turd. The new Gen 5 V8 and 8 speed?, feels massively better. Again, the motor in front makes a big difference.

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
I had a late model express van on my lift at work that wouldn’t run if it were on the ground, but as soon as I lifted it off the ground it would run perfect. I repaired the main engine ground and all was well. Turns out the van was grounding itself through the lift, and as soon as I lowered the lift arms off the chassis, it would lose ground and cut power to the fuel pump circuit. So it would just shut down as if it were running out of gas, rather than if someone had shut the key off. Such a pain. Nobody in the shop had ever seen anything like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor