Reminder about THE RULES and REPORT STUFF!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Your friendly neighborhood board admin here. If you didn't notice, there's been some drama here as of late. Turns out there are quite a few people abusing the rules, the ratings system, and the PM/Conversation system.

In case you've forgotten, or didn't bother to read when you signed up, and if its not listed in the rules/terms, consider this an official amendment:

Not allowed on this site: Dragging other users around in the mud. Personal attacks on character. Revealing personal information in a spiteful manner. Threatening other users, explicitly or implicitly, especially involving physical or material harm. Generally harassing or bullying other users. Basically anything illegal or threatening to be illegal. Harassing other users with the post ratings system (more on this later.) "Your car/dog/wheels/engine/house suxors" and blatant stuff like that is also not cool.

This list is not all-inclusive. There are probably more things that I would call violations.

If I find out this is going on, I will be handing out bans, temporary or permanent, the severity and length of which depends on the infractions and repetition. If I find out that it "goes both ways" I will let the ban(s) do the same. I get to make the final call.

How do I find out this is going on? While I try to monitor the site, there is no way for me to view every single post that is made or the context its made in. The software will not let me view Private Messages or "Conversations" as they're known in the new system. I have to slog through the database to read them.

The only way I really know there are abuses of the system happening is if YOU GUYS REPORT IT. You HAVE to report these things. Apparently there has been A LOT going on that I have missed, or that's been happening in Private Messages that I can't see... and its this activity that's led to recent drama that I would really rather not get into right here.

On every single post and conversation message, there is a REPORT button. Every single one. Use this when you see the rules being broken. Please. Use it. It's the only way myself and the moderators know when things are going south, unless we happen to see it randomly in our normal use of the site. You can also send me an email directly to [email protected]. I also ask that you send me an e-mail or Start a Conversation if you notice technical problems with the site, or even just to get help with something.

PLEASE REPORT VIOLATIONS OF THE RULES

That said, its possible to abuse the reporting system. Reporting every single post a user makes or something similar just to be a jerk is going to backfire, I guarantee. This is the internet after all, and people will say stupid stuff.

As for the abuse of the ratings system. I'm going to try and find out how to do away with the negative ratings. If I find I can't, or its too much of a hassle, I'll just do away with the whole ratings system. It might go away temporarily and randomly in the meantime. Its come to my attention that some are just rating all posts by users 'dumb' or 'bad' just because.

It is possible to "ignore" a user on the board. I have not used this feature personally, so I can't comment too much on it. I will update this thread when I learn more. It might be useful in keeping the peace.

Some of you WILL be getting PM's from me regarding this. Some of you won't like what I have to say.

I'll also be posting a call for additional moderators. Keep an eye out.

I'm leaving this thread open for discussion. NOT about any specific user or thread or posts, but about the rules and the system and how this is going to play out in the future.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
"Old" "Bad Spelling" and most importantly, "Dumb" ratings have been permantently deleted. You should no longer see those ANYWHERE. I know what you're thinking "oooo now we're all special snowflakes" or some such junk, but hey, this is what happens when the system gets abused.

Reactions: 3 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I should add: If you get an e-mail from the system that is a reply to a conversation or thread, and you want to report it, but when you come back to the site that message/post is gone..... forward me that email. Because the post or message may appear to be gone, but one great thing about this new system.... they're not. If nothing else, I will have a record.

montec

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2016
ND
I'm new to the site, and I thank you for bringing attention to items like these. I have been on other sites that that abuse becomes a problem and its hard to crack down after so long.

I thank you for this great site, and I am planning to stay.

I will also state I have not seen what you mention personally, but I appreciate your pro-activeness on these items.

Can I ask is there any chance that the options when posting about watching a thread and email be changed from marked by default to not?

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I'm new to the site, and I thank you for bringing attention to items like these. I have been on other sites that that abuse becomes a problem and its hard to crack down after so long.

I thank you for this great site, and I am planning to stay.

I will also state I have not seen what you mention personally, but I appreciate your pro-activeness on these items.

Can I ask is there any chance that the options when posting about watching a thread and email be changed from marked by default to not?

Thanks. As for the last bit. I want to say that there is an option in your account to switch that kind of thing off. I'm not at a computer atm to check for sure, so I'll find out later.

montec

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2016
ND
Thanks. As for the last bit. I want to say that there is an option in your account to switch that kind of thing off. I'm not at a computer atm to check for sure, so I'll find out later.

I found it, thank you!

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Just a friendly reminder to keep your politics to Facebook, not here. I've been disappointed to learn and then find that this particular rule has been skirted and just plain ignored. Those posts will be deleted when I find them. Please report them via the moderator system if you find them.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Unfortunate that you even have to post this, GP403. I have to say the vast majority of my interactions here have been positive and helpful. There are a few members that might come across as a little "grumpy" but that's no reason for banning. Also, in terms of politics, I may tiptoe into that area because of California's impossibly strict smog and engine-swap rules, but I try not to get overly-political. This is by far my favorite automotive forum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor