removing ecu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

86buick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2010
stafford ct
i wanna swap a sbc into my regal that has a 307. im also swaping over a monte ss interior and dash. do i need the ecu for the gauges to work? or can i just bypass that and put a vac advance dist. in? both the regal and donor ss are 86's.i saved all the wiring from the monte.

Thanks
Tim

gauges are independent of the ecu, but you need a distributor and non-CCC carb.

just thought of one other thing (don't you just love hearing that! LOL) do you have a 200-4r trans? if so you need to get a lockup kit. (the ecu controls the lockup solenoid in the torque converter) the most comprehensive, inexpensive, and effective that i've seen is from bowtie overdrive.

megaladon6 said:
just thought of one other thing (don't you just love hearing that! LOL) do you have a 200-4r trans? if so you need to get a lockup kit. (the ecu controls the lockup solenoid in the torque converter) the most comprehensive, inexpensive, and effective that i've seen is from bowtie overdrive.
yes i do have a 200-4r..thanks for the info i'll have to look into that

what carb do you have? if it's a q-jet, do you know the year or the model number? it may have a slightly different throttle geometry. this can be corrected with a kit, that bowtie also carries (and explains really well) but if it's an 80's Q you should be good.
sorry i keep adding more problems!

megaladon6 said:
what carb do you have? if it's a q-jet, do you know the year or the model number? it may have a slightly different throttle geometry. this can be corrected with a kit, that bowtie also carries (and explains really well) but if it's an 80's Q you should be good.
sorry i keep adding more problems!
its a edlebroc, i just looked at the bowtie kit,thats just hooked up to a toggle switch?

there are 2 ways to do it. one is through the brake switch. basically it will always go into lockup once it hits 4th. it disengages at downshifts and when you hit the brakes (this functions like stock). you can also use the switch to force lockup in all gears. the 2 can be combined. unfortunately if you leave the switch on you can stall the engine when you come to a stop.

86buick said:
what if i leave ecu in and just remove the wireing for carb and emmision controls?

Without the CCC carb and distributor, the CCC cannot work properly. It needs to know the throttle position and RPM to control the A/C compressor clutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor