Removing Upper Door Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I can't seem to figure it out. I think there is a screw where the pull strap is, but don't know how to get to it. There is a piece of trim behind the pull strap that I am assuming is covering the screw up. I tried prying it off, but I am not trying very hard because I don't want to damage it. Am I correct with the screw being behind the trim? Is there an easy way to remove the trim with out damaging it or the vinyl on the door panel?

This is an 86 Cutlass Supreme 2 door.

Thanks for the help.

dudeface

Master Mechanic
Aug 18, 2008
calgary alberta canada
yes...............4 screws holding the stap. I find the easiest way is to get a small pick set (like a dentist) make sure it has one that is bent at 90 degrees at the end

now slide the pick into the strap area where it goes behind the chrome, and turn it so the middle of the door strap bezel pops out a bit in the middle. then carefully put a thin blade in there to hold it out, then pry outward slowly, until it pops off.
ive been selling these on e bay for about a year now. probably sold 20 sets so far. and have never broken one yet

peace

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
Yes there's a screw on both ends of the pull strap, they're behind the covers just pop them off, make sure you remove you door lock knob too, you also will need to remove the door armrest and the screw behind that also

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, as it is a Cutlass, it could be one of two styles. I can tell you how to deal with the deluxe Brougham/Salon ones. I use a razor blade to pop up the edge, and then a small jewler's screwdriver to pop them. I find this is the best way as they are sort of tight in there, and anything bigger will mar the edges. The tangs that hold it are on the short ends , not the top or bottom if that helps. If it is the base model style, please post that that is what you need as it is a totally different setup. I have the factory service manuals and can try to look it up for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor