repainting interior particulars

Status
Not open for further replies.

80maroonbu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
I have never done interior before, and have some specific questions about how to do it.
Do i wash them down with soap and water before i sand?
What grit of sand paper is best?
What is the best brand of paint to use?
And do they make the blend with the urathaine in a can for those of us without a pot sprayer and compressor?
Or anything else a novice needs to know that wants to do this?
I am compitant and capable in myself, i was taught to do things right thefirst time. And if you dont know, ask!
Maybe, if someone that has done this before can find the time to put together a how to guide, many would be greatful. I know i would be. Or, just some answers would suffice.
Thanks in advance guys.
David

I did my El Camino with SEM vinyl dye. Cleaned everything with soap and water,used a scotchbrite pad.
Then I applied a coat of SEM adhesion promoter. then two coats of SEM

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 409
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 415
x2. I did my gauge cluster a short while ago and I didn't even have to use a scotch pad because the colours were close enough, that even your average Canadian tire interior paint worked.
Heres an idea of how mine turned out
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34081

I have never done interior before, and have some specific questions about how to do it.
Do i wash them down with soap and water before i sand?
What grit of sand paper is best?
What is the best brand of paint to use?
And do they make the blend with the urathaine in a can for those of us without a pot sprayer and compressor?
Or anything else a novice needs to know that wants to do this?
Yes - always better to have a clean surface when painting just about anything...
For interior parts, you don't need a really coarse sandpaper...what are you doing? Smoothing out rough spots? A green scotch pad would do, too, for cleaning
A lot of people will say to use SEM - it's more expensive, but you get what you pay for - I'm in the process of paining my interior (slowly) & SEM is def a high quality paint - it's about $10 a can, but worth every penny - you can find at auto paint supply stores or online
Also, wear a breathing mask & it wouldn't be a bad idea to use gloves with this stuff...esp the clear coat, since it's a penetrant...don't want that getting in your skin...
Just remember, it's all in your prep...

I had just read that another guy here had said he used sandpaper prior to painting, thats why i asked about that. But if a 3M pad works just as good, thats fine. I dont think i have any panels that have ny deep scratches. Its mostly a sun bleach problem in my car. I just want the job i do to last. Windows will be tinted after its done nd a sun shade will be used to protect everything.
Im also sure that as prevalent as the red and maroon interiors were, the paint you guys suggested will have my color code. And i dont mind paying for quality.
My main issue was wanting to know any tips or tricks to doing this so its not all for not.
The 6 "P's" are a good thing to remember. "Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance".
Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor