replacing hood release cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

eocoolj

Apprentice
May 27, 2010
the handle on my hood release on my '79 monte has been broken for years now, and i found one for cheap the other day. The downside is to replace the handle, I've got to rerun the whole cable.

Has anyone done this before? I have it almost completely out but cant get it through the firewall. Before I completely destroy the rubber grommet thats keeping it from coming through, does anyone have any tips on how to get it? Does it have to pop out towards the engine or towards the passenger compartment?

A quick response would be much appreciated, because daylight will be fading soon!!

Thanks

Manual says to pull it out from inside the car. It says there is a screw holding the grommet in place. Remove screw and remove cable with grommet. Here is what is says for reinstalling:

"When installing grommet, hold cable taut and force grommet into hole in dash panel. Reinstall grommet-to-dah panel attaching screw."

Hopefully it makes more sense to you.

does it say exactly where the screw is? I didnt see any screw, but then again i wasnt looking for one.

Well, the manual is a bit confusing. It talks about the screw and then says "For A styles, the grommet is molded to the cable and must be pushed through the dash panel. The cable is then bolted to the left shroud." My manual is for a 79 Olds so when it says A style, it also means G Body.

Anyway, the picture shows the screw just above the grommet. It shows the grommet having a tab that sticks up with a hole through it that the scew goes through. My manual is for a 79 Cutlass so maybe there is a difference, but I doubt it.

I can't tell from the manual if the screw is on the passenger side or the engine side of the firewall. But, it should be right next to the cable. If you have an email address I can send you some screen shots of the manual.

Let me know how you did it after you figure it out!

PM sent with my email address...

Really appreciate the help. I will take a couple pics and post them when I get this done.

just so you dont think I disappeared with your information, I havent gotten back to it yet since yesterday. Was just worn out when I got home from work today, hopefully I'll take another crack at it tomorrow.

OK, for all who have been eagerly awaiting my return to tell how my hood release cable replacement went, its done. After geting frustrated with it last week, I took a few days off and took another crack at it tonight. Apparently the '79 Monte is different from carmangary's '79 Cutlass, because it turned out there was no screw holding the rubber grommet in place. I ended up just prying at it with a screwdriver until it popped out, toward the engine compartment. I ended up slicing it lengthwise to get it off the old cable and put it on the new one. Putting the new cable in was pretty easy, however I'm not sure the grommet is seated perfectly, so I'm hoping I dont get any water the next time it rains. I took a couple pics, which hopefully I will have up in the next couple days.

Any questions on the subject? Be happy to answer them for anyone who is facing a similar swap, but its pretty straightforward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor