Reproduction Malibu Wagon Interior Parts Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The trick is how to scan the existing net shape into a CAD tool, or, spend hours with a micrometer and care to reproduce the geometry for the CAM software to drive the printer.

Last edited:

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I have a very close friend who has the ability to reproduce plastic parts. These will be primarily geared towards the wagon community but some will work in 4 door cars as well and many of the non Chevrolet variants. The parts are made or UV resistant and paintable ABS with an accurate texture. To the best of our knowledge, no one makes these parts or currently markets them. My question here is what would the interest for these parts be to the general G-Body world?

He has plans to make molds and run copies for the following parts;

A pillar Covers
Upper front door panels
Lower front door panels
B pillar covers (long side)
B pillar lower section
Upper rear door panel
Lower rear door panel
Rear door handle inserts
Tailgate covers
Tailgate cover insert
D pillar cover

I commend your ambition but think it's a pipe dream. I seriously doubt you have a profitable business model if your friend is building injection molding tools. Tooling cost, materials and sample costs would drive the piece part cost through the roof. Perhaps you could share some more details on how your friend has this ability? All of the parts on your list require A or B side action to pull undercuts which further increases cost. Even building aluminum rapid prototypes would be cost prohibitive. I also question your marketing strategy. Don't get me wrong, I like wagons but they are an odd duck. Molding garnish trim and interior panels for 2 door G bodies would significantly increase your customer base.

I do this for a living (both tooling and processing for interiors) and have often thought about building tools for select G body parts. I hope you're successful but cost is the issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor