Reverse lights paint

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
OK, here's what I got out in the garage for the silver I used. It's PPG 8967, Astral Silver/Astro Silver (M.B., '80'86/'90). Didn't find anything else on it or where I came up with that shade but I have a can each mixed in Omni MTK & MBC. I looked over my chip books which I thought that was where I found it & found PPG 8568 which is Argent Silver list for both rally wheels & trim on the '78 Chevy page. The 8967 would need a low gloss clear, can't remember if single stage 8568 is a low gloss or will need a low gloss clear.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Thanks for the real world info. The 1/4” tape is 1/16” too wide. This is why I was going to custom cut the size to 3/16” and the one side 5/32” to fit better. It may not be as apt to peel up. But again, I think it’s a good experiment worth trying.

Regardless, the plating still would be hot stamp and would require a stamp to fit on the edge of the lamp. That’s where the main cost would occur. It would be too difficult IMO to chrome it any other way.

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Just watched a video today about a guy who used chrome nail polish!! He brushed on the activator then hit it with a uv light then brushed on powder nail polish stuff that looked really good, not sure if your could top coat it for protection.

84cutlasssupreme

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2019
Thanks for the real world info. The 1/4” tape is 1/16” too wide. This is why I was going to custom cut the size to 3/16” and the one side 5/32” to fit better. It may not be as apt to peel up. But again, I think it’s a good experiment worth trying.

Regardless, the plating still would be hot stamp and would require a stamp to fit on the edge of the lamp. That’s where the main cost would occur. It would be too difficult IMO to chrome it any other way.
I forgot to mention if you want to respray the "gray" area around the lenses, use Sem Color Coat #1 5083 Silver . It's almost a perfect match. You can't tell the difference from the original paint. Works on plastics, carpet, vinyl, & velour according to the label on the can.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
My '81 & older PPG chip info don't have the WA numbers other than WA848 for 19 Black.
https://paintref.com/ has a lot of paint references per year and junk like that.

Interesting. I also found 8568 crossing to WA3024 as well.

img0286_b3a639ec-5bd0-48f3-bb8b-530ec6630c1f_800x.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I forgot to mention if you want to respray the "gray" area around the lenses, use Sem Color Coat #1 5083 Silver . It's almost a perfect match. You can't tell the difference from the original paint. Works on plastics, carpet, vinyl, & velour according to the label on the can.
Is it flat-ish or is it glossy?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
According to Summit, under specifications, it says the SEM 15083 is flat. This could very well be good news here. Plus, if you need to fog the sides of your taillights, or if you have a little silver paint in your grilles, this could be good news as well. Everything will match at least.

However, over at Amazon, the description says "gloss" finish. WTF.

You may be able to fog it on to help flatten the look, and also SEM has a low luster clear that I've never used, but could work as well. Low luster clear is aerosol number 13023 (13038 for pint flattener). Clean with SEM 38353 Plastic and leather prep, then use SEM 38363 for the sand free primer they recommend for ABS plastics. If you have thermoplastics, like EDPM, Polypropylene, etc., use the X X X Adhesion Promoter (77723) or Plastic Adhesion Promoter (39863).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor