Ricer mufflers

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
Just a thought I had. Has anyone ever tried the fat cans on an American V-8 car? I was wondering what it would sound like. Another idea would be to buy mufflers for a Ferrari and put them behind a Chevy 350.

Who thinks this is a crazy idea?

The ferrari exhaust idea I'm not so sure. As far as the ricer mufflers, DON'T DO IT! Those mufflers are designed to really restrict the exhaust to create that sound because ricers and imports have shi**y back pressure. So if you put those on a V8 that is creating a lot of back pressure, basically you just stuck a cork on your exhaust and its either 1.) gonna sound like crap. or 2) your exhaust pipe or muffler is gonna explode from the excessive back pressure being created. If you wanna try it just to see what it sounds like, then you got more money then me. Let me know what it sounds like cause I've never heard it lol.

I have thought about it, but never tried it. I agree with pat, it will probably blow up the muffler or shoot it off like a rocket :lol:

^ Maybe the cheap fart cans from Wal-Mart or Autozone ... but a good quality muffler from someone like HKS will flow just fine. I mean if they will work in single mode downstream of a 600 + hp 2JZ or RB, then I'm sure two of them would be find paired up behind a 300hp Chevy. :?

But it's like anything, you have to buy quality.

Honestly I've been thinking of running a pair of titanium HKS cans, they're just a bit pricey at over $300 each.

I remember in either Hot Rod or Super Chevy a few years back there was an old V8 powered muscle car running a set of "import" mufflers. It looked pretty cool.

I've never heard or seen anyone attempt that. Now I agree if the HP rating is below 300 than you might be alright. But most V8's are easily going over 300+ HP. And if your gonna spend 300 for an import muffler, then why not spend the money on a high end muscle car exhaust like magnaflow or flowmaster. There's tons of V8 mufflers out there that have different sounds and you won't be paying $300 per can when you could buy both mufflers and tips for that much.

^ To be different of course.

No matter what "muscle car" exhaust you have, somebody else will have something exactly the same or similar.

But again ... if a muffler is capable of flowing on a 600 + engine (no matter if import or domestic) ... then TWO of them would be fine on most any V8. People just don't do it b/c of sterotypes. Back in the late '90's I had a Flowmaster on my 16V VW and it sounded amazing, but you wouldn't believe the flack I caught from my V8 friends who just didn't get it. Even my import friends were like "Duuude why you puttin' an American exhaust on you Euro ..." But whatever, I liked it and it was different at the time.

By the way the muscle car in the magazine with the two "import cans" had a built big block in it. I wish I could find that article somewhere.

I wish you did I would like to see that. I would also like to hear it cause I would think it would sound really strange. Not stereotyping or anything, just me thinking if it sounds that bad on a 4 cylinder, whats it gonna sound like with a V8 that makes a lot more noise? As far as flowmasters, they sound good on just about anything and thats kinda stupid to catch flak for putting one on a VW.

I wish I had a lot of money,lol I wouldn't even ask and just buy them...

If you put a cherry bomb on a 4 or 6 cylinder it sounds like crap but on a v8 they sound good. Maby if I find some for $20 at the swap meet I will try it. I sure as hell will not spend $300 on one!!!!

The reason cherry bombs sound so good on a V8 is because the motor creates enough back pressure. A 4 or 6 cylinder doesn't make near as much exhaust pressure, therefore it won't sound that good. But if you do try it, please let us know the results and what it sounds like. I've been very curious for someone to try this cause I don't have the money to do it.

Not really sure why anyone would WANT to try this?? I think those cans would do nothing but make an American V8 look and sound cheesy, kind of the same way they do on most rice burners. But here again I'm the old fart who can't wait for the Tokyo drift thing to fade away along with the donks. At least low riders can be entertaining :lol:

-UT-

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor