CHEVY Right Header For The Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motor City Monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 2, 2015
So its been awhile since I've been here. But I find it's the best place to start.
I have a 85 Monte SS. Just replaced the tired 406 with a Blue Print Engines 400 crate
motor. More horsepower plus a warrenty. Why not ,right. Anyway ,Currently using
you basic hooker Headers. Getting tired of burning up plug boots. Don't mind spending
the money Trump,s sending me on a good set of headers but don't wanna have the same
problem. Was wondering if anybody has the same engine in their SS and what headers their
using.
Thanks

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
You can get spark plug boot protectors,Summit has all kinds.
These one are kind of $$$$$,but when I buy new ones its gonna be these ones;
But just the regular ones will protect your plug boots as long as they dont make direct contact with the header tubes.
I have two that touch the tubes so I just put a small piece of heat sleeving around the boot protector;
Hope this helps !!
Guy

Motor City Monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 2, 2015
You can get spark plug boot protectors,Summit has all kinds.
These one are kind of $$$$$,but when I buy new ones its gonna be these ones;
But just the regular ones will protect your plug boots as long as they dont make direct contact with the header tubes.
I have two that touch the tubes so I just put a small piece of heat sleeving around the boot protector;
Hope this helps !!
Guy
Thanks,but unfortuntly mine touch the headers .I've already gone through
several boot covers. was hoping to upgrade to a better header but didn't want to have the same problem.

Thanks

Reactions: 1 user

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Thanks,but unfortuntly mine touch the headers .I've already gone through
several boot covers. was hoping to upgrade to a better header but didn't want to have the same problem.

Thanks

Well I cant help you with SBC header selection as I'm just a BBC kinda guy !!
Guy

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I have two 79 Monte Carlo's with Hooker Headers on both. the blue car has standard competition headers and #6 boot has had a burn through as well as having to run a long wire on #1 to keep it off the header tube. this is on a 267 V-8. By contrast my black car has Hooker Super Competition headers (Not the over the frame) and due to the position the pipes run in there is no plug wire interference with a 406 small block. I understand Headman have the best clearance for plug wires as well as chassis fitment. My brother has them in his 74 Monte Carlo and the fit is fantastic, our chassis are different on the 78-88's

Motor City Monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 2, 2015
I have two 79 Monte Carlo's with Hooker Headers on both. the blue car has standard competition headers and #6 boot has had a burn through as well as having to run a long wire on #1 to keep it off the header tube. this is on a 267 V-8. By contrast my black car has Hooker Super Competition headers (Not the over the frame) and due to the position the pipes run in there is no plug wire interference with a 406 small block. I understand Headman have the best clearance for plug wires as well as chassis fitment. My brother has them in his 74 Monte Carlo and the fit is fantastic, our chassis are different on the 78-88's
Thanks, I'll do some research with Headmam and see if they have a tech guy.
Thanks again for the feedback.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Sounds like another Michigan man - I have run Dyno Max, Super Comp, and Schoenfeld w/o a problem. Are you running straight or angle port heads? How you route your wires is a big factor.

Motor City Monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 2, 2015
Sounds like another Michigan man - I have run Dyno Max, Super Comp, and Schoenfeld w/o a problem. Are you running straight or angle port heads? How you route your wires is a big factor.
Straight. Use to have problems with #6 on the 406 i replaced now with the 400 is burning #5. Like I said before, it's just basic hooker, nothing fancy. Just don't want to spend big bucks and still have the same problem.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor