Rim Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
Also something else when your adding more rotating mass to the car aka bigger rims you need bigger brakes to stop it.I wont go over a 16 unless to clear the brakes.On rim and tire size beg steal or borrow a wheelrite.

CutMonRegMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2007
do it the right way

Here at my shop we have lots of guys wanting to put bigger rims on there gbodys. there is a easy way clear the car for 22's or even up to 24s by using airshocks in the rear and chevy 1500 springs in the front(car rides like ****) and the stopping power is terrible. To lift the car the right way first you replace the front spindle with a set from an s10 and i like to use early 80 model buick lesabre coil springs all the way around on the gbody because it will truly give it a clean lift that wont ride too tough while not using any air components. The most expensive part of the job is the brake upgrade there is no cheap way to do that part right. everything else can be found at pull-a-part.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
If you want a vehicle with bad handling that sits up high, why not just get an old SUV with 4 wheel drive instead? At least then people like most of us will not be laughing at you as you drive down the road. I have 16's right now, but am thinking about 18's on my Cutlass as it is the largest size that I feel will fit properly inside the wheel wells of my lowered G body.

CutMonRegMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2007
stocksuspension said:
the ride quality is just like any other car with big rims. its not horrible i dont bottom out. its just ur turning radius is limited. my brakes dont squeal nor is it hard to stop it. alot information is giving out with little experience in this topic
I'm assuming you've never driven over 45 mph and had to come to a complete stop!!! "from my experience big wheels do more than make the brakes squeal but i gaurantee you will change out your pads more than normally if still using all stock components."

blaqstar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
pasadena, california
"sounds like theres some people out there that dont know what the new trends in customizing are. these days its big rims. 22... 24... 26... and 28 inchers. as a matter of fact im in the process of building a 79 Malibu with plans for 22s. i think saying it wouldnt look right or that you might laugh as i drivee down the street doesnt bother me one bit. i dont think ANY OF US who have put cars together consider what the next guys opinion is gonna be. we build to suit our own tastes. hot rodders... low riders... bone stockers. dont we all just love cars?!? for a little more info on lifting cars for big rims heck out this link."

http://www.universalcarlifts.com/index.html

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
"sounds like theres some people out there that dont know what the new trends in customizing are. these days its big rims. 22... 24... 26... and 28 inchers
oh we know all about that trend. but most of the guys on this forum are performance minded/hot rodders. and when you get over 18in performance goes downhill fast. plus if you want ground clearance--buy a damn truck!! what IS the point of oversized rims? and if you don't care about what anyone thinks, why are you following the trend?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
but why jack up the car and put 30's on it??? i can understand low and 22's. i don't like the look of that large a rim but i can accept it. i even like some lowriders. but donks??? :evil:

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i hope that ain't yours!!! how many miles to you think that thing drives in a year? on the trailer, off the trailer, on the trailer... what's really stupid is that some people put high performance engines in those things.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
megaladon6 said:
i hope that ain't yours!!! how many miles to you think that thing drives in a year? on the trailer, off the trailer, on the trailer... what's really stupid is that some people put high performance engines in those things.

You have to put a high performance engine on something like that!
1656d467a5b74265fd23f0597ee1378e.png
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor