Rims warm to touch after short ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
Not sure if I just never noticed this before or if there may be an issue. About a week ago had the front rubber brake hoses replaced. Yesterday was the first dry day I had a chance to go for a ride. It was 85 degrees. After a ten mile ride mostly highway I pulled the car into the garage. Checked the tires for signs of issues since it was the first ride after work was done on the car. I noticed that the rims were warn to the touch on both front wheels. The calibers where not warm at all. The rotors where warm. I had just pulled into the garage and was slowly inching forward with the brakes on prior to this. Maybe a distance of 10 feet. Could this explain the heat? I jacked up the passenger side ad the wheel spins with no drag. One finger can spin it no resistance at all. The rims are 15 inch Creager.

On a side note the same day I recharged the AC and was testing that on this trip.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Heat transfer from the drive is to be expected. Excessive heat transfer is indication of an issue (bad/collapsed hoses; sticking caliper; wheel bearings too tight or failing).

The hub will retain more heat vs the rim because of contact proximity. If you can't keep your fingers on the wheel surface because it's too hot after a short drive, something is amiss.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I could hold my hand on it no issue. I could also place my hand on the rotor. Just never noticed it before. Guess I was being cautious after having work done.

I compared it to my Silverado but the thick aluminum rims are larger and probably dissipate the heat faster than the chrome ones on the Monte Carlo.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I could hold my hand on it no issue. I could also place my hand on the rotor. Just never noticed it before. Guess I was being cautious after having work done.

I compared it to my Silverado but the thick aluminum rims are larger and probably dissipate the heat faster than the chrome ones on the Monte Carlo.
Exactly. Smaller diameter chrome steel wheels will hold the heat longer.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
When you can't hold a finger on them, then there is an issue. They should always be warm after a drive. The front tires are making heat as well. Sounds like normal operation to me.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
if they're hot while driving,that's another issue..you should really put your hand on it while driving just to see if it's hot..

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

McGillicutty

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2018
Oshawa, Ontario
if they're hot while driving,that's another issue..you should really put your hand on it while driving just to see if it's hot..
Exactly. If the engineer in this pic was doing his job properly, he would be leaning over to feel the rims.

Attachments

• tire test.jpg
    tire test.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
Took a long drive for over an hour yesterday and the same thing. Got home and they were warm but not hot. Same as the other day. They must hit a warm temp and stay there. Guess I never noticed after having the car for 7+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor