RIP GM 3800

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll put out about 240 HP and 280 ft-lbs of torque and still get good fuel economy. It's fun.

gm 3800

i have an 04 indy impala ss indy edition and its has what is labeled as series 2 (L67) sc 3.8 but the 04 and 05 years impalas and monte ss that came supercharged actually have the gen 3 block and heads. they just got the gen 3 eaton m90 supercharger that was left over from other cars such as the gp, regals and such. even the series 3 v-6 will have the series 2 casting on the block. when gm gave the gp a new design in 04 which is also when they switched to using the eaton m90 gen 5 sc. basically the chevy's got screwed in getting the leftover gen 3 units from pontiac.

the gen 5 just barely beats a gen 3 car stock vs stock. the stock pcm's have alot of tq abuse protection in them. i have mine modded and have a tuner i use and car just flies. 😀 if i only had slicks then i would have a 1/4 mile time but for now i have dynoed 290 fwhp so far.

been messing with the car for 3 years now but these engines are tough. guys have taken stock block into the 9's and recently a guy broke the 8's with a stock 3800 block. :shock:

Who got 8 seconds? Was it zzperformance by any chance?

3800 had to go

The 3800 was scheduled to build out at least 6 years ago but kept getting 12-18 month extensions. As a result, they let the tooling go to hell all that time, figuring it only had to run another year at most. During the last 2 years they were cannibalizing duplicate machines to keep others running, cobbling up other machines & fixtures. Stick-welding greasy broken tools together right on the line. On top of that, they had temp workers in there who had replaced retiring people with knowledge & experience. So they were smashing up TENS of Thousands $ in tooling EVERY WEEK for the last 6 months or so. Scrapped engine parts were out of control. Everything was worn out, whopped out, etc. It woulda taken Millions $ to bring it back up to speed. In a way we're sad to see it close. On the other hand, we were fed up with repairing stupid wrecks caused by greenhorn salaried decisions.

Restored Buick Fireball V6

http://i38.tinypic.com/2zprtdz.jpg

They had a big party at Plant 36 the day after they shut the V6 line down. This was there. But they didn't roll out any of the restored Buick V8's that they have. EVERY Buick V6 and V8 engine ever built came out of this plant

Is that an old 215? I love the old Bu 455 easy to build into a excellent strong street motor. Had a 71 GS 455 Stage 1 that I miss.

vern,
that's either a 198 or 225 c.i.d. buick fireball v-6, a predecessor to the 231/3.8l/3800 v-6. the 215 was a v-8.

bill

It was an amazing engine. My Cutlass has the 3800 in it and my mom's 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GT has the 3800 with a Supercharger thrown on.

It will be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor