RIP Stan Lee

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
When I was a kid in the early 1970’s, I looked forward to every Saturday morning going to the grocery store with my dad to pick up the new comic books. The neighborhood market was “family” and they made sure to save me a copy of all the new comics each week.
I loved reading the letter pages responded by “Stan the Man” in each one. With my mom dealing with MS and becoming bed ridden during that period of my life, the Marvel Comics were my escape.
So RIP Stan Lee. Thanks for all you did in helping a confused and scared little kid cope with problems beyond his understanding.

Reactions: 4 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My hero. I was not a great student. The fact that I am a voracious reader I owe to Stan lee, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, John Romita, and all the incredible writers and artists that made up Marvel comics. All my paper route money went to Spiderman, Sgt. Fury, Dr. Strange, Ghost Rider, the list is endless and I read them all, because Stan wrote them. But mostly he was far ahead of his time on many things. The Howling Commandos consisted of all races and nationalities. Black Panther came out in 1966- during the riots. Daredevil was blind. Professor Xavier was in a wheelchair. As a WW2 veteran, his world view was that all men were indeed created equal. Ironic he passed right after Veteran's Day. Thank you Stan. Because of you- I read.

Reactions: 5 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
95 years, he's seen a lot.
He was around before TV...

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I'm not or have ever been into the comic book scene however I can recognize a true visionary. Godspeed, Mr. Lee

I hear you on that. I couldn't afford many comic books but it would be fun to see what I read back in the day

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I am still coming to grips with this. I grew up a "dorky" kid in the 80s and 90s - read a lot of comics, drew characters from Marvel and DC (made up my own), like so many I had my own reasons to escape into a world of fantasy, and dreamed of being something greater. Stan got that - he inspired people.

The first song my oldest ever sang was this:
And my wife was pissed. ;)

I have a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 waiting for her (and her sister) to read - she seems ready.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I am still coming to grips with this. I grew up a "dorky" kid in the 80s and 90s - read a lot of comics, drew characters from Marvel and DC (made up my own), like so many I had my own reasons to escape into a world of fantasy, and dreamed of being something greater. Stan got that - he inspired people.

The first song my oldest ever sang was this:
And my wife was pissed. ;)

I have a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 waiting for her (and her sister) to read - she seems ready.
I was going to suggest a trip down here to Baltimore to visit the Geppi Entertainment Museum, but i found it shut down earlier this year. I was lucky enough to attend a party there at one of the Grand Prix, and got a private tour. It was really cool.
http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1012?articleID=213163

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That's really cool. Heavy on the Inhumans. I see Lockjaw and Medusa a lot. And Kraven the Hunter?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor