Roof Rail Weatherstrips - which one is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
I need to replace the roof rail weatherstrips on my 1979 Cutlass Calais, does anyone know who has the best product out there for fit, correct look, function, etc. I see the Parts Place has some NOS left hand side pieces for $200, and the re-pop sets are about half to 3/4 of that price.

This is one job I've never done and I'd like to do it once. Any tips on that would be greatly appreciated.

thx.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
In my experience, NOBODY has been able to beat genuine GM parts when it comes to roof rail/door/trunk seals. They're normally softer and obviously fit the best. As far as the best aftermarket, I can't tell you. I tried soffseal many moons ago and what a PITA. I swapped them out with NOS GM seals and never looked back. Maybe they're better now, but generally speaking, I've found aftermarkets firmer than the originals.

As for tips...

Some people don't use the recommended 3M black w/s adhesive, and if you don't, eventually the sh*t will pop out. All you need is about an 1/8" squiggle line of adhesive to attach. And get some wide popsicle sticks or better yet, those little wooden taste test spoons they use at grocery stores for those little taste test stations. Rounded corners. Works well for pushing the rubber into the channels.

Make SURE to use the push pins on the ends of the strip. If yours don't come with them, use GM p/n 8731909 or aftermarket equivalent.

I'm suspecting no T-tops, so I'd start with the C-pillar top corner and work my way to the front and then down the C-pillar. Test fit first to ensure you got the seal situated where you want it. Once you have it set in where the "final" fit goes, then pull out the C-channel (vertical) rubber to the top 90 degree corner, and apply adhesive (don't put too much on it) and attach the corner permanently. Then pick an end and work your way along the channel keeping the seal from being bunched up, but don't stretch it. Use finesse. Once at the end, put an adhesive strip along the middle of the strip.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 5 users

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
Thanx, I agree with you 100% that NOS is the way to go, that's my experience as well.
I will probably pick one of the LH side from The Parts Place despite its cost. And I'll need to play the waiting game for when an NOS RH side comes up for sale. The RH side on the blue Calais is making unbearable with noise at highway speeds. I just got back from taking it to Vermont last weekend and if you don't go 75 on the Mass Pike in the Berkshires you get passed by EVERYONE. The wind noise really sucks at that speed. I've got to get this done. That is the main reason I opted to take my white 1996 Cutlass Supreme to this weekend's OCA Eastern Zone meet instead.

As the saying goes, if the wife says something about it, something needs to be done.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
In my experience, NOBODY has been able to beat genuine GM parts when it comes to roof rail/door/trunk seals. They're normally softer and obviously fit the best. As far as the best aftermarket, I can't tell you. I tried soffseal many moons ago and what a PITA. I swapped them out with NOS GM seals and never looked back. Maybe they're better now, but generally speaking, I've found aftermarkets firmer than the originals.

As for tips...

Some people don't use the recommended 3M black w/s adhesive, and if you don't, eventually the sh*t will pop out. All you need is about an 1/8" squiggle line of adhesive to attach. And get some wide popsicle sticks or better yet, those little wooden taste test spoons they use at grocery stores for those little taste test stations. Rounded corners. Works well for pushing the rubber into the channels.

Make SURE to use the push pins on the ends of the strip. If yours don't come with them, use GM p/n 8731909 or aftermarket equivalent.

I'm suspecting no T-tops, so I'd start with the C-pillar top corner and work my way to the front and then down the C-pillar. Test fit first to ensure you got the seal situated where you want it. Once you have it set in where the "final" fit goes, then pull out the C-channel (vertical) rubber to the top 90 degree corner, and apply adhesive (don't put too much on it) and attach the corner permanently. Then pick an end and work your way along the channel keeping the seal from being bunched up, but don't stretch it. Use finesse. Once at the end, put an adhesive strip along the middle of the strip.
Excellent advise

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
SUCCESS! I was able to land an NOS RH roof rail weatherstrip via e-bay this morning. I had to buy the set but out of sheer need for that RH side I could not pass them up. Now I'll await the warm weather to install the set. Once they are installed, maybe then my wife will ride in the car!

Reactions: 1 user

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
SUCCESS! I was able to land an NOS RH roof rail weatherstrip via e-bay this morning. I had to buy the set but out of sheer need for that RH side I could not pass them up. Now I'll await the warm weather to install the set. Once they are installed, maybe then my wife will ride in the car!
That set popped up in my saved search, was looking at it but not prepared to splurge on it as a stash-away part. Glad someone here snagged them.

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
Thanks, this was a Major Score, my RH side on my 79 blue Calais has gotten so bad even I can't stand it at highway speeds. Even turning up the radio wasn't working.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yay!!! Perseverance pays off! 👏

I've got several sets of those laying around. I didn't want to mention that earlier because then you'd bug the heck out of me about them. :) I'll probably be buried with all this sh*t because I'm not going to get 1099-K'd out the wazoo selling it anymore. I sold several sets of these a few years ago on ebay along with some T-top seals. They were quite popular.

Did you get the early version or the better-sealing later numbers (which is why they changed the p/n's)? Early versions were 20154105 and 20154106 and were interchangeable with 20038038 and 20038039. Then they changed to 20737658 and 20737659. The original versions didn't quite seal as well as the newer versions, or so says GM. Somewhere on the back of the strip should be a molded in partial part number which should clue you in to which is which.

7659 LH Roof Rail weatherstrip.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
You nailed it, I might have been asking you relentlessly to sell a set, lol.

Thanks for this info regarding the numbers, I take comfort in now knowing the RH is the later version, it's got 7658 stamped on it and there is a Canada flag sticker on it, much like the LH side ones bought from the Parts place which are stamped 7659 (I bought 2 LH from them, I think the LH side they are offering will be selling out soon, they are no longer on E-Bay). The LH side that comes with the set I just got on E-bay this morning is the old style stamped 8039 and I don't really care about that one, I won't be needing it. I must say they do look different.

The auction number is 22488077032, you still may be able to see it, not sure since it's over. The seller laid them out side by side, IMHO the RH clearly looks to be in better condition than the LH. It's all good.

Reactions: 1 user

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
The strips arrived in the mail yesterday, the RH is correct and is in mint condition, ready to install. Rubber is in better condition than any aftermarket stuff out there, you can really feel the difference.

I didn't even bother to open the box for the LH side, it's not needed so I'll probably re-sell it at a later date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor