Running Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
For anyone with a GM truck with factory running boards that have faded Ive got a good solution. Upol Raptor.
My wife drives a 2010 Yukon that we bought back in the Fall of 2011. The truck was loaded and had super low miles when we got it. I switched the tires and wheels with a set of take offs a while back because the 20" wheels started to look like crap.
The truck now has just under 57K on it. We recently decided to look around for something newer. Time to clean and detail this one to sell. I had to get another rear spoiler due to the original started to blister up. Dont know why, maybe just cheap plastic. That was an easy job. SEM Trim Black Ultra made the used one look like new.
Today was the running boards. They were really faded. Looked like crap. Yesterday I pulled them off and cleaned them. SEM Soap and Plastic Prep.
Today I sprayed them with Upol Raptor thinned with 15% 2K reducer. They look pretty sweet. Even coverage, satin black. Thinning the Raptor that little bit made it spray out pretty smooth. Sprayed it at 30 PSI.
I watched a few videos on Youtube and most of them said to use the $15 Harbor Freight spray gun. All I had to do was drill out the nozzle with a 5/64 bit to get it close to a #2 tip. It worked.
Pretty happy with the results although Im liking the way that truck looks without the running boards. Im on the fence about putting them back but if I trade it in or sell it I guess they need to go back on.

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Look really nice.

Personally, I don't care for them on my vehicles, but lots of people do.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
They must be using inferior plastic in 2010. My running boards are from 2002 and they have resisted fading better than the trim. Wash and dry is all they get.
I'm convinced these saved the seat bolsters on my truck. I see trucks much younger with the bolsters worn right out from climbing in from the ground.

Attachments

• silverado.jpeg
    silverado.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
They came out nice. I'm wondering how well they'll hold up wear-wise. But if you're selling it anyway, who cares? It'll definitely help with the selling price.

I'd be more concerned why your body side moldings haven't dinged out yet. It's a GM truck with those rubber side moldings...it's what they do. Did you repaint them? I took great care of my 2010 truck and although they stayed fairly nice, it was only a matter of time after 10 years. I fixed them by buying a new 2020.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
They must be using inferior plastic in 2010. My running boards are from 2002 and they have resisted fading better than the trim. Wash and dry is all they get.
I'm convinced these saved the seat bolsters on my truck. I see trucks much younger with the bolsters worn right out from climbing in from the ground.
My 2011 GMG Sierra had the drivers seat bolster come apart in less then 18 months. I think it was due to the side airbag. Took it back to the dealer and complained since it was still under warranty. Service manager says I was getting in and out of the truck incorrectly. Told me not to slide across the seat. I guess he expected me to hover my butt until I could get directly over the seat. LMAO It never got fixed.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
They came out nice. I'm wondering how well they'll hold up wear-wise. But if you're selling it anyway, who cares? It'll definitely help with the selling price.

I'd be more concerned why your body side moldings haven't dinged out yet. It's a GM truck with those rubber side moldings...it's what they do. Did you repaint them? I took great care of my 2010 truck and although they stayed fairly nice, it was only a matter of time after 10 years. I fixed them by buying a new 2020.
Ive got one piece thats faded a little more than the other three. Just enough to notice but not as bad as other trucks Ive seen. Its always bugged my wife but we can live with it. More important things to worry about in life. LOL
I will say the body moldings on my old silver 2011 Sierra crew cab faded fast. I took the truck to a guy that I know that owns a body shop and he said they were too far gone to try to paint. I took a heat gun to them and took them off the truck. Hit the sides with a wheel and it looked like they were never there.
As far as the running boards, I think the Raptor was the better way to go. Figured paint wouldnt hold up at all. The only thing I forgot to do was spray them with adhesion promoter first. I tried to scratch them up with a screwdriver where the brackets are and nothing came up so Im hoping they stay good for a bit.
My plan was to polish the whole truck before I put them back on. Rain for tomorrow so maybe I'll get to it next week. I still have to find something to replace it though.
I went to the local Chevy dealer that Ive been dealing with. Holy crap ! A stripped Tahoe was over $70K. Not going to happen. Low mile lease turn ins are nowhere to be found. Im looking online every day. Being picky with the colors makes it even harder. Found a beautiful 2019 with under 8K on the clock but its in IL. I live on Long Island. Not sure if I want to take that long of a roadtrip. We have time to shop. Im sure I'll find something eventually.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor