Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Bagger.jpg

Bagger (fall of 2008-2 OCT 2017)
Got the word from my buddy that our beloved platoon dog we saved from Iraq passed in his arms Monday night from a short fight with lung cancer. We went thru alot of trouble get the boy home Taji, Iraq to the North Hills of Pittsburgh. His first group of keepers were a Stryker unit from Hawaii that saved him from abunch of kids that had him in a bag & abusing him (how he was named Bagger.) We came in to take over in Jan '09 & that was when my buddy first saw him & the puppy love struck. They had that connection & claimed him as his dog. A month later we were moving back to the main camp with the 1st Cav taking that smaller one. They didn't want any "mascots" so they was going to feed him a hot dog filled with a blasting cap. Another NCO thought he had an good idea to take & leave him on Bagdad Island (Sadams amusment park) to save him. My buddy came up with a fake patrol with some volunteers to find him. After his rescue & a very long nap to recover he was "home" with all of us at the main camp. It took some time to get use to not being able to roam free (he escaped to the air field, made more friends & was saved again cause of his collar saying CSM Bagger.) He was comfort for us after we got hit on Good Friday, we comforted him when the camp got rocketed on Easter. We held a fund raiser to get him state side before the end of spring (if the food wasn't under lock & key we had it, some of the best stakes) & raised more than enough for the ASPCA for his flight. Had to hid him from KBR during the end of his time there. By the end of May, he was in the Pittsburgh area. It took some time for him to adjust to his new home, "mom", & "sister" (my buddy's other dog.) Before we knew it he settled in, made a new 4 legged best friend, & about forgot about his life in Iraq. Then the final reunion, we came home & Bagger was reunited with my buddy. As time went on, he became a star pupil at the obedience school, the ultimate rodent hunter, & the best compainion a guy could have. For my buddy Bagger was his child as him & his wife tried but couldn't have kids. Both dogs were spoiled together. There was always a good story about Bagger when we got together. Then last month after my buddy got back from Ft. Irwin, they got the bad news when they took him to the vet after noticing he was having a few issues. Cancer. The vet said it spread from another part to his lungs, that the treatment would kill him. After some talking on how to go about things, it was decided to keep him comfortable the best they could until his time came. He had good days, he had some not so good days. After 3 weeks, his time came. My buddy came home from work Monday, it was a not so good day for Bagger. He was put in his bed but wanted on the couch with my buddy. Into my buddy's arms he went. He went peacefully with the family that loved him. It hit my buddy hard, took yesterday off to take care of Baggers final arrangements & to regain his composure. H finally passed the word to us tonight. I can guarentee there is not too many of use who help to get him home that are not emotional about him. He was with us for a shorter time that we would of liked, but I am glad that everything we did for him (& could of really put us in a major pinch), got him to a great home, & made a man happy to have a dog like him in his life.
DSCN0189.JPG DSCN0278.JPG IMG_4148.JPG DSCN1042.JPG Denny + Bagger.JPG Bagger leaving JSS istiqlal for good (Stryker 1-4).JPG
Snoozing @ home.jpg

• Friendly
  • Winner
Reactions: 10 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Thanks for posting the story of Bagger. It hurts to lose a pet.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
That's a great story with a tear jerker ending for a special pet/buddy. My dog passed a few years ago after 15 years together. She was so unique,I just don't want another after her.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
A companion found in difficult times is not something that can be easily replaced.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'll pass this on to my buddy. He, his wife, & their other dog Kinsey are really feeling his absence. A lot of they guys who was there with us feel the loss. There is a good bit of them who act tough on duty shed tear or two from the news.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Thank you for your services and I'm sorry for your loss. To loose my buddy would be devastating. My daughter's think his story would make a great book or move

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Amazing how these pets can touch our lives like they do . . .

Got a 16 year old Toy Manchester I am going to have to make the decision on pretty soon.

Great story, thanks for sharing . . .

Awesomeaj

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2017
Michigan
What an awesome Soldier Bagger was! I can't even imagine going through all of that to finally find a true friend(s). So sorry for your and your buddy's loss..and everyone else's also. Thank you all for your Service and what you've done to help our country.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor