Salvaging a wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFullMonteSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2010
My wifes new to her car was wrote off in an accident. It was a '91 Caprice Estate Wagon. We bought it because it was new from front to back as the older couple that owned it were anal about upkeep. It was used once a year to pullther travel trailer. We got it for a great price. Fast forward 3 months and 22yr old blows through a stop sign and my wife t bones her. Needless to say the car has just enough damage that its a write off. I am trying to get it back from the insurance company as the engine has 30000 km on the rebuild (only parts reused were the block, heads, intake), Tires have about 10000 km on them.... etc. Is it worth trying to make the rear end fit under my SS? I know the wagon hass the 5" bolt pattern but its got mid 3 something gears and a posi and is mathed to the 700r4 transmission Im going to pull out of it for the SS. Whats your thoughts? I'm told its a truck rear end..... Whatever that means.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
First off, is it a write off to you or the insurance company? Perhaps it could be put back together if it isn't that bad frame-wise and body structure. Don't forget, any older vehicle in an accident can easily be deemed a total by the insurance company.
Any pictures of the car that you can share? It might very well be worth buying back from the insurance company.
Or, are you more dead-set on buying it back as a parts car? I'm guessing it doesn't have the LT1 engine which are more common in the Roadmasters.

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
i was wondering that too, are you just wanting the parts or do you want to fix it?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
The entire rear axle is not a viable swap. It is a LOT wider, and would require special control arms to get it to bolt up.
Depending on which rear it is (7.625 or 8.5) it may be worth pulling the carrier/gears.

'91s would have a TBI 305 or 350. The LT1's didn't come around until '94.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Post up some pics... A "totaled" car just means it cost more than the car is blue book worth.
So on a 91 wagon, whats that maybe $2k?
So, if you take their check and buy back the car, you could probably find junkyard parts and rebuild the car as long as it doesn't have extensive frame damage.

TheFullMonteSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2010
Well as of right now I dont have pics of it. The appraiser has valed the car around $3750 so that should give you an indication of its shape before the accident. It does have the 305 and an 8.5 rear. The car is shifted 1' to the passenger side in front of the front wheels. The frame is bent as all the steering linkage. If the frame wasnt bent so bad I would try to salvage it.... My wife just bought herself an '07 Dodge Nitro and she loves it. My best friend has a Roadmaster wagon thats why I want the car back so he can salvage the good parts like the exhaust etc.... I just want the serpentine belt accesory drive if I can save it, the 700r4, going to sell the motoras it low milage (another buddy wants it), and was curious about the rear end. I will post some pics once I get some. Thanks for the opinions

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
yesh.... car's that old the adjusters usually will go to 90% of value on estimated repair cost before they total it, at least in Indiana. It must be pretty messed up. I've bought back a total before though, i think it was $200 or so. But again, this may differ from state to state.

TheFullMonteSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2010
Yipee we got $3800 for the Caprice and its sitting infront of my garage already. Sold the rebuilt 305 to my friend for his suburban $150, front rotors for his roadmaster $20, and both rear door windows and regulators $20 a side. Keeping the 700r4, posi and gears out of rear end, tires/rims and scraping the rest. cost me $196 to buy it off the insurance company and scracp was$189 a tonne this morning so we will make out pretty good 8) Best part is we had less the $2600 into the car in total. Worse part is we will never get another car in that shape for that price.

upandaway84

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2011
Michigan
TheFullMonteSS said:
Yipee we got $3800 for the Caprice and its sitting infront of my garage already. Sold the rebuilt 305 to my friend for his suburban $150, front rotors for his roadmaster $20, and both rear door windows and regulators $20 a side. Keeping the 700r4, posi and gears out of rear end, tires/rims and scraping the rest. cost me $196 to buy it off the insurance company and scracp was$189 a tonne this morning so we will make out pretty good 8) Best part is we had less the $2600 into the car in total. Worse part is we will never get another car in that shape for that price.
You made out like a bandit. I guess there is a up side to the accident as long as no one was hurt.

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK
You did much better than us. I was rear ended back in sept. I was following my wife, and when the kid hit me, he pushed me into her so my car got it on both ends. My wife's car was only cosmetic damage. They offered me $2600 for my '94 Buick Lesabre with 84k miles. So, I have been looking for one since and the only cars I can find for that price similar design all have 150k+ miles on them or they want $4500 or more for them. Also, I had a very extensive stereo install in it and want reimbursed for it to be moved into the new car as well.
I am getting pretty close to getting an attorney, even if I don't end up with much more coin in my pocket, I'll hopefully still make them pay for it. 3 out of the last 4 vehicles I have owned have been hit by someone else and their insurance company has tried to screw me every time. The difference this time is I can afford to fight instead of taking their first bull-$h!T offer then throw my way. :oops: :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor