Sandpaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
hey guys I have a quick question so I sanded my car with 80 grit on my dad well that was a mistake now I am trying to get the deeper scratches out I hit it with a fill primer two coats and it showed through so I started wet sanding with 180. What pattern of sandpaper should I go before using filler again?

montecarlo-ts

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2010
what do you mean pattern of sandpaper? you want to sand in a X like pattern with a good sanding block. step up grit around 100 intervals, finish grit is 600/800 before paint if i remember correctly. body filler is sanded in 80 grit, if your just sanding old paint to respray you just need to scuff it if the paint is still in good shape

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
I sanded with 8 grit da to take out the clear and was going to scuff and paint but found some pitting but I sanded the old primer off wet sand 180 to 220 then 400 dry to spray it looks good one coat of filler looks like it will be okay but I am going to spray 3 more layers then block it out then paint.

montecarlo-ts

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2010
400 may be too much for finish work. depending on what your spraying, metallic or anything like it, the deeper sand scratches will affect the metal flakes. 600/800 the lowest before paint. 600 wet is what i remember. its been a few years since i did body work but below that you might see the sand scratches once you put color on it.

montecarlo-ts

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2010
if you have real deep scratches you can use spot filler putty. its more fluid than regular body filler/bondo so you can fill the scratches and and not have a lot of filler to sand off

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Every paint manufacturer spends a lot of money publishing tech sheets for their products. I would suggest you get the info from your paint jobber for the refinish system you are going to use, and follow it accordingly.

And, IMO, bare steel should be epoxy primed before anything else goes on it.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
This is a quick paint till I can afford a real paint and body job I just finished building my car and have yet to drive it legally of course going matte black for the summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor