sbc/bbc swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

expter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 20, 2008
I've got an '82 malibu wagon with a 400, and got a deal on a 454 that I couldnt pass up. I want to swap, but am i getting myself in trouble?

Nightmare388

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2007
North West IL
expter said:
I've got an '82 malibu wagon with a 400, and got a deal on a 454 that I couldnt pass up. I want to swap, but am i getting myself in trouble?

Shouldn't be to hard of a swap. It just depends on your budget. You will have to buy headers for the 454 and they won't be cheap and if you still have the stock 7.5 it may not last to long with the 454 torque. Just depends on how much money you can spend.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Any time you do a swap you wind up with some sort of trouble! :lol: How much depends on what you have and your level of skill, patience and available funds. If it is your only car, plan to be without it for at least a month. It may not take anywhere near that long, but be prepared in case it does. Sometimes you end up needing a part that is hard to find or takes a few days to order. This can sometimes lead to a cascade effect of shipping times which can drag out an otherwise simple operation. One part may come in, but it may then make another part necessary that you did not foresee. Then you have to hunt for or wait for that part too.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
well, cooling is also an issue.. make sure your radiator is up to snuff....not sure about the motor mounts...

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
A BBC bolts to the SBC mounts and transmission. It also uses the same distributor. However, the valve covers may hit the A/C "suitcase" on the passenger's side and maybe the vacuum brake booster as well. The brake booster could be replaced with a smaller diameter longer one ( I believe they were on some S-10's) or a hydroboost. The accessory brackets are also different and the 454 is externally balanced like a 400 SBC, so it requires a special flywheel or flexplate ( I think). It also needs to be the right tooth count for the starter.

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
the engine blocks themselves are direct bolt on ( mounts+transmission)
expect to buy a thicker radiator because your stock 2 rows wont do the job...

the weight difference will lower your front end also , and a spreviously said the 7.5" diff wont make it if ....

personnaly i would put a bit of $$$ on the 400 ( heads +cam) and sell the 454 ....

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor